News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trying to replace my right e-brake line...

Started by greaseball, 2021-09-13 16:02

Previous topic - Next topic

greaseball

The rear-end I have has e-brake cables, but one is frayed & missing the end cap, so it's gotta be replaced.

I got "new" brake cables, but now I see I will also need a type of retainer and some gaskets to hook it all up.
I know a lot of you guys don't worry about the "E-brake", but since I don't plan on upgrading to a dual-master cylinder for awhile, and I'd really like a "back-up plan" in case the single master cylinder fails- I feel like the E-brake is important.

So, right now the only aftermarket parts catalog I have is a "Mac's" and I see no listing for the fitting I need.
I assume I need it, 'cause it looks like it will get broken when trying to remove it
(that sorta crown-shaped piece)

So does anyone know where to get such a fitting, and if there's anything else I need?

Thank you!

brushwolf

That piece with the multiple retaining legs on it? Never have broken one. It just squeezes together and comes out in one piece with the cable and your new one should have the same piece on it as well. It is part of cable end, not a separate piece. Or are you talking about something else?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

59meteor

As mentioned, the pronged retainer piece should be part of the new cable, unless you are dealing with some aftermarket universal fit cable. I have always been able to reuse the retainer, and cable, by putting a fuel hose sized screw style clamp over the outer fingers, and tighten the clamp until the 3 outer fingers compress enough to allow them to fit thru the backing plate hole. If the old cable is junk, you can just use a screwdriver to snap off the 3 tabs.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

greaseball

Dang, thanks.

So I have some after-market nonsense cable then, it does not have that piece.
Which explains why I noticed today that the cable is a slightly smaller in diameter also.

Thank goodness for the internet,
Thanks guys