Paint color/ formula for the chrome bezels, either side of the steering column?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2021-10-20 12:06

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I've had the bezels that are on either side of the steering column re-plated and now want to repaint the painted portion.
Is there a known color, name or formula for the Silver paint that was OEM on these pieces?

Thanks
John

lalessi1

Lynn

KYBlueOval

Lynn, I've seen some painted to match the dash, but I believe that was not the way they left the factory. I'm of the opinion that they were painted a shade of silver at the factory. And I'd like to repaint them in that correct silver, but I have no clue as to what that color is.
Hopefully, someone with an original dash will confirm if they are in fact some shade of silver, or the color of the dash.

And if it is some shade of silver, someone will know the name or formula etc.

John      Go Dawgs!

RICH MUISE

John, just my 2 cents, but imho your car is not an as-it-left-the-factory restoration, so why the worry? Pic a coordinating color you like and run with it. As I said, just my 2 cents. But that said, is it the same as the Argent Silver used on other parts, like the splash pan?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

On my brown interior they are painted the same brown as the dash and interior mouldings.

Same deal on my black interior 57.

Ron.

lalessi1

My first '57 Fairlane 500 (two tone) had a brown dash (also two tone) and brown bezels from the factory (my grandma bought it new). There is a pic of a blue dash in the Custom & Custom 300 brochure that shows blue bezels. I painted my Custom's  gray dash bezels the same color as the dash...
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

John my Ranchero had a green dash.  The inside of the bezels was green also.  The Retractable is Red/White/Red with a red dash with the area around the cluster and radio/clock bezels white, the inside of the bezels is red.

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

I think I have figured this out. I dug through a box of parts and found some '57 bezels and they are painted. I assume to match the dash.
I'm switching to '58 bezels as I want the plastic at the top of the bezel to be a white background with black lettering and the gauges I'm using are white face with black lettering.All of the knobs are changing over to '59 style......White with a silver insert. I recently had my pair of '58 bezels re-chromed and they were painted with a silver color, prior to plating. As I recall, other '58's I've seen were the same. Another pair of '58's should arrive today or tomorrow and then I should know for sure, but I now think the '57's are painted to match the dash and I think the '58's are a dull silver color.
My reason for wanting the silver paint information is that I like the way that paint looks on the bezels and there is a large piece on the '66 T'Bird console, that I'm using, that has a factory dull chrome finish that looks almost the same as the silver paint on the bezels.
Chrome platers have told me they can't replicate the dull finish, so my option is to paint it. And it will be whatever paint I come up with for the bezels.When I get this completed I'll post some photos.
Thanks to all that replied.
John

BTW  If anyone wants to switch to the white plastic as discussed above, you have to change the entire unit. The bezel as well as the backing plate. None of the '57 parts will interchange with the '58 parts.

SkylinerRon

KYBlueOval

Ron, thanks for the reply. From what I recall regarding the color, that might do it. Is that paint readily available? Rattle can? Or a formula? Where can I get some............If you know.
Thanks
John

lalessi1

Duplicolor make an Argent Silver wheel paint in a rattle can.
Lynn

BP57CUSTOM

My custom 300 has blue bezels that match the dash. They look to be original paint on them.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2021-10-22 05:57
Duplicolor make an Argent Silver wheel paint in a rattle can.

Thanks Lynn..........I'll get a can and test drive it.
Thanks
John

SkylinerRon

Never used that VHT color but, their quality is usually good.

Goodluck.

Ron.