News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Member from Northeast Ohio

Started by Mike Krakora, 2021-11-24 19:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Krakora

Rich, I do drive it when I get the opportunity, I worry about the tires every time I take it out, they are over thirty-five years old.
I store it with the tires off the ground, although age is certainly a factor, I have used a black vinyl & tire wax on the other car, it has radial tires on it, but they are actually the same age.
The current mileage is 37,000, attached is a photograph of the car in front of one or the places we visit on a day trip.
I do plan to clean the engine compartment very slow and carefully

Lynn, the interior panels are in decent condition, the dashboard is very good, the front seat has some wear, but the back seat is fairly decent. the car is pretty solid though, especially considering the type of weather we have here
I have personally known the car since 1967, but have only actively participated in it's maintenance since about 1977
Mike
1957 Fairlane 500
1966 Galaxie 500

lalessi1

I love your car. "Care"(fully) is the operative word!
Lynn

59meteor

That carburator looks interesting, all my 2 barrel 57 Y Blocks had Holley carbs, that is an autolite 2100. I dont recall ever seeing a 2100 with the automatic hoke housing located so far forward, usually they are directly above the throttle shaft. Do you have a tag with a part number on it, or the number should also be stamped on the base plate, on the drivers side, just ahead of the throttle shaft.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Mike Krakora on 2021-12-05 13:21
Rich, I do drive it when I get the opportunity, I worry about the tires every time I take it out, they are over thirty-five years old.

Yup, the tires that caused this damage were 12 years old!  Looked perfect, never went flat, never hit a deep pot hole, just an older tire that came apart at 75 MPH.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

thomasso

That appears to be the correct 2100, as I can make out it is correct with the rare long accelerator pump housing.  In my case I've never seen a 57 with a Holley 2 bbl.  Maybe a regional thing or from different assy. plants.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Mike Krakora

Tom, the tag on the carburetor contains some of this text "EDB-(M) B7A 9510 - L"
   Bill, thanks for the review of that very graphic message about tires. You cannot be too careful with tire condition, even when they look good.
Two of the most important components of an automobile are, tires and brakes.
Tires are your only connection to the road when driving, brakes are even more important.
Bill am I correct, on one of your posts, I read that you served aboard USS Intrepid, "The Fighting I".
My uncle served on CV-11 during World War II. unfortunately my farther instructed me not to ask about his time in the service, so I know nothing of his service time or that of my father or other uncles.
All I have, is his former crew members jacket, history of the ship, and videos from the Sea, Air, & Space Museum
Attached is a dashboard photograph. 
Mike
1957 Fairlane 500
1966 Galaxie 500

Ford Blue blood

Mike I was an Intrepid crew member from 66 - 69.  Good ship, my first after boot and A & C school.  The "Fighting I" is indeed filled with history.    Number 3 in the line of Essex class carriers.  Player in many battles in the Pacific, the Tet offensive in 68 and a bunch of "little" contributions during it's illustrious career.

I can understand your fathers request.  My father was Army, New Guinea, Philippians and Australia.   He never talked about the war or any of his encounters.  Most of those memories are best left buried.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Mike Krakora

Here is a photograph of the rear seat.
The only bad part of the rear seat is the vinyl cover on the front of the seat base.
Mike
1957 Fairlane 500
1966 Galaxie 500

djfordmanjack

Welcome aboard Mike !
Wow, what a beautiful car and just love the history on this one ! Very, very nice ! You are certainly the right caretaker for this beauty, enjoy !
Guenter

Mike Krakora

Guenter, thank you! I have to admit, I admire you very much, reading some of your posts shows that you are a genuine expert on 1957 Fords, plus you always offer sound advice to other members. You seem to be able to do some amazing things without the advantage of being close to many sources of parts.
I think having a history of these cars is really something special. I always enjoy reading stories of how people came to own their cars, and what they might know from the time before they owned it. On the subject of history, attached here is a photograph of some of the oil change decals over several years.
Mike
1957 Fairlane 500
1966 Galaxie 500

djfordmanjack

Thank you Mike, very flattering. I want to mention that I was only able to acquire most of my knowledge because of other members who have been there before and are willing to share their experience and knowledge! I would never call myself an expert, because I am not. There are people here that have known these cars since they came out new and have passionately collected and worked on them most of their adult life. ( well I have too, but just not that long...haha)
Your car really seems to be very special, imho survivor cars are the most interesting ones. they do tell their history and carry on some of the former owners legacy.
I really don't know how 'grandpa' would deem your car unsafe back in the 70s, but maybe it was just a trade off to public opinion and looking for more safety in cars in that era.
That story and how this car has been in your life for decades, really makes my day. also the service stickers are awesome. Just look at the beautiful mid century design and layout of that Rotunda tag! Wishing you many more safe and trouble free miles with this beauty !  :004:
Please do post pics whenever you get her out or whenever you feel to !

Mike Krakora

Here is a photograph showing the engine running, and more owners manual pages showing Grandpa's nick-name for the car and the purchase date.
The other shows what was likely his last oil change while he took care of the car, and a record of the fuel price. I think the amount of fuel may be incorrect, I am sure the fuel capacity is less than 20 gallons. Besides the fuel price was rising then, driving everyone into a panic!
Mike
1957 Fairlane 500
1966 Galaxie 500

djfordmanjack

That fuel capacity of 20 gls is correct to the factory specs ! Just looked it up.  I find that I cannot get exactly that much in, but that may come from the  slightly awkward bend of the wgn filler neck.