News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Time for winters nap

Started by alvin stadel, 2021-12-04 23:00

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

Well it looks like our good fall weather is about over, so I put stable in my 57's and 31. I like to drive them a few miles after I do this so I know the stable is in the carbs.  I put cardboard between the tires and concrete, old timers always told me helps tire life if you do this, so I do. They all have their covers on them and are now ready for their winter nap. I keep the temp in my show room around 57 degrees and put battery tenders on them.  As fast as time flys by it won't be long until spring is here again and they can be back on the road.  However that 3 1/2 to 4 month nap is a long time for me to wait as I like running them down the highway.  It is kind of quite here tonight so I thought I would just share some random BS with you. Take care, Alvin

lalessi1

Alvin, I find the forum interesting in the fact that it provides insight into what car guys do around the country with the seasons. Thanks for that post. I am bringing my car to a show today. This is a good time of year for that type of thing here. I am waiting for the fog to lift to wash the car, it will be in the mid to upper 70's and very humid. Summers are too hot for the most part and the daily afternoon showers put a damper on outside activities that don't involve a pool. Car season is late fall and spring. I can drive my car all year long. We will see a freeze occasionally after the first of the year. I have lived here all my life and it is hard for me to imagine living in a colder climate.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I'm pretty much the same as Lynn in that no winter prep is needed. My car gets driven year round but the occasional snow/ice means I just have to be careful when/where I drive it. No winter trips to Colorado in the '57 for me!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Yup, my only "winter" issue is the ton of leaves that invade every nook and cranny that exist around the shop and on every car!  The pin oak leaves are the most troublesome.  They get into the shop, not sure how but after every wind there are a ton that come in.

My next adventure is the pollen in the spring!  We are in long leaf pine territory.  I have two in my yard and in the spring it looks like blowing snow from the top of those two, never mind the hundreds that surround the place.

Despite the whine and snivel I do get to drive year round and enjoy that ability!  I can even work in the shop year round without have to heat the place.  At my age I'm not sure I could acclimate to living in the northern reagions of the country.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I always feel bad for the people who can't use their cars in the winter. But I feel bad about the premium I pay here for the sunshine  :005:

Bill, I have the same problem with oak leaves getting into the garage when the wind blows and we have regulations that won't let you cut them down.. I need some kind of a better seal on the bottom of the door.  Same problem with the pines in the spring, yellow covering everything..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

59meteor

Well, for a different perspective, I have lived all my 64 years in Canada, always around the greater Vancouver area of British Columbia on the West coast, until we retired and moved to the East coast, about an hour south of Halifax Nova Scotia. In BC, we were about 1/2 hour from the US border with Washington State, now, in Nova Scotia, we are actually south of the Canada/US border, about 200 miles due East of Bangor Maine. So we certainly experience winter, In BC, it would typically get below freezing overnight, so even though the annual snowfall was not very much (with the occasional 8-10 inches some years), with all the rain, the roads were often salted or brined. Now, in Nova Scotia, it gets colder , currently 2 degrees Celsius, about 35F, was minus 6 C last night (30F), woke up with a light dusting of snow, which will likely melt this afternoon. In a way, I kinda welcome the winter months, to work in the garage. I currently have the 428 and Toploader out of my 59, to address a bad valve guide and a slipping clutch, plus my drag car needs some minor stuff (new slicks, some re wiring, new springs), and my car trailer is also in the garage so that I can reseal and paint the roof, and wax the sides service the wheel bearings and brakes. If I didnt have some winter "downtime" to get caught up on such things, I would have trouble getting it all done, if I could be driving and racing all year round. As much as I really do not enjoy the colder weather, or occasional snowfall, I really prefer it to the stifling heat and humidity that I have encountered during the summer, in California, Nevada, amd Oregon. I have encountered 114F in those places, I have no idea how people can function in that heat! But I suppose, anywhere that you go, eventually you will climatise to it. The first time that I ever went to California, for the Street Machine Nationals, West, in Sacramento, it was 110F, and us Canadians were melting, while the locals were wearing light jackets! For me, paradise would be a constant 65-70F year round, with occasional LIGHT rain, (but never from Friday thru Sunday!), no mosquitos, flies, rodents, snakes or anything that can bite, sting, or fly around your face. Anybody know of such a Shangra-la ? Oh yeah, and no crime, gangs, drugs,homelessness, tree  huggers, vegans, car hating cops and politicians, 3rd world religious zealots, people who think putting Chevy engines in Fords is acceptable, or
scam artists. And plenty of cheap, high test gas would be nice as well. Any suggestions?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

alvin stadel

Hey guys, thanks for the response.  I put it off as long as I could, getting my rides ready for winter, and I did it just in time. We woke up to about 6in of heavy wet snow this morning and it is still coming down. I have allways lived where we have winter, South Dakota and here in Montana. Having the 4 seasons is nice, however winter usually takes some getting used to, and every year I find that harder to do. When we were kids we drove our cars everywhere no matter what the weather was, that was when I was still bullet proof. To get stuck in a snow bank or slid off the road was just part of life. There was allways someone around to help you out Most guys had a shovel, log chain, extra gloves and a blanket in their trunk, just incase. As most of you know, nomatter where you lived or grew up those were care free days, with very little pressure, way more relaxed than it is today.

FiveSevenLiter

Abbotsford had 21.2 inches of rain in November.

One inch of water or rain is equivalent to 623 gallons per 1,000 square feet

One inch of rain falling on 1 acre of ground is equal to about 27,154 gallons and weighs about 113 tons.

Over 8,900 acres were flooded.

That field behind my 50 has about 7-feet of water on it today.

So one (1) acre of this land has 2,280,936 gallons of water on it.

The sunset picture is from Search and Rescue doing a great job.

Can I get wide white aqua grips?
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

SkylinerRon

Here in central Maryland we have 50 degrees till Christmas, in Feb lows around 20-30.

July -Aug mid 90's. Go a 100 miles East to the ocean, 100 West to ski in "West by God Virginia"

But, we have to deal w/ Wash DC traffic and crazy protesters.

Ron.

lalessi1

Quote from: 59meteor on 2021-12-05 09:08
Well, for a different perspective, I have lived all my 64 years in Canada, always around the greater Vancouver area of British Columbia on the West coast, until we retired and moved to the East coast, about an hour south of Halifax Nova Scotia. In BC, we were about 1/2 hour from the US border with Washington State, now, in Nova Scotia, we are actually south of the Canada/US border, about 200 miles due East of Bangor Maine. So we certainly experience winter, In BC, it would typically get below freezing overnight, so even though the annual snowfall was not very much (with the occasional 8-10 inches some years), with all the rain, the roads were often salted or brined. Now, in Nova Scotia, it gets colder , currently 2 degrees Celsius, about 35F, was minus 6 C last night (30F), woke up with a light dusting of snow, which will likely melt this afternoon. In a way, I kinda welcome the winter months, to work in the garage. I currently have the 428 and Toploader out of my 59, to address a bad valve guide and a slipping clutch, plus my drag car needs some minor stuff (new slicks, some re wiring, new springs), and my car trailer is also in the garage so that I can reseal and paint the roof, and wax the sides service the wheel bearings and brakes. If I didnt have some winter "downtime" to get caught up on such things, I would have trouble getting it all done, if I could be driving and racing all year round. As much as I really do not enjoy the colder weather, or occasional snowfall, I really prefer it to the stifling heat and humidity that I have encountered during the summer, in California, Nevada, amd Oregon. I have encountered 114F in those places, I have no idea how people can function in that heat! But I suppose, anywhere that you go, eventually you will climatise to it. The first time that I ever went to California, for the Street Machine Nationals, West, in Sacramento, it was 110F, and us Canadians were melting, while the locals were wearing light jackets! For me, paradise would be a constant 65-70F year round, with occasional LIGHT rain, (but never from Friday thru Sunday!), no mosquitos, flies, rodents, snakes or anything that can bite, sting, or fly around your face. Anybody know of such a Shangra-la ? Oh yeah, and no crime, gangs, drugs,homelessness, tree  huggers, vegans, car hating cops and politicians, 3rd world religious zealots, people who think putting Chevy engines in Fords is acceptable, or
scam artists. And plenty of cheap, high test gas would be nice as well. Any suggestions?

Now THAT IS PARADISE!  Lol! Just got back from the car show, over 150 cars in French Settlement middle of nowhere. Only took one pic...
Lynn

59meteor

Never enough? Looks like a whole lot of way too much!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

What ever floats your boat! But if I had that kind of money to spend I would have built something completely different.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

Here in So Cal weather is still nice . Took the Ranchero out to Pomona for the swap meet yesterday, except for a little fog turned out to be a great day.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

The fog was crazy in some areas, now we are getting much need rain, but not much..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Moved from WA to MO...weather is not nor has ever been a factor for me. It is what it is...can't change it...so I tend to just ignore it and do what I want.
I would like to get my dam n apartment bldg sold though...so I can expand my shop and get in it to start working on my '57. also need to paint the 'SVO...so I can drive it on the Route 66 Road Trip that my buddy and I have been planning for the last 17 years when he retires from Phoenix P.D. this May.
Other than that...life is good...this will be the first year in 4 that my wife and I have spent BOTH Thanksgiving AND Christmas along with her b-day (Dec 20th) together.
I have NO regrets about making the move...no more of the annoying tree huggers...protestors...overwhelming rules about what I can and cannot do with trees on MY property...vegans...car hating cops or cop haters either for that matter...3rd world fools an zealots or high taxes. Yea..life...is GOOD!
And I am only a day and a half from Alvin or Rich or Gary or John i n Louisville. Once I get the SVO painted I could run down to Louisiana...once the 57 is done...well...ROAD TRIPS will be the norm and fully intend to challenge Rich in the category of most miles traveled. (hint...my truck has been in my possession two weeks under 18 months...and I have put OVER 72,000 miles on it. Yea...the 57 is gonna get miles...lots of miles.   :burnout: Nova Scotia...Massachusetts...and a LOT more will be seeing my car. I am even going to send a pic to Jay Leno of the car...and the keys...cause I KNOW he doesn't have one in  his collection...and tell him fr a ride in his Stanley Steamer...he can drive mine! LOL!!!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker