News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Fairlane Front Disc with Stock wheels

Started by chapingo17, 2022-02-11 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I'm sure this question has come up, but after doing some research on this forum I was not able to find out what type of front disc upgrade kit will work with OEM stock 14" wheel rims with stock spindles. Looking on Ebay there are many options to upgrade front drum brakes to front disk brakes. I assume the logic way to go is to buy 11" rotors to fit the OEM stock 14" rims. If anyone could please advise me or recommend what brake kit on Ebay or any other place I can purchase a front disc brake for 14"OEM rims. Or even better if anyone knows of someone having a used conversion front brake disc upgrade for sale.

abe_lugo

You have to find the OEM Granada wheels there is post about it, let me check . I got lucky for my Hardtop and found a nice set locally, but expect to pay in the 150-200 range for a set.
You can immediately tell they'll work if you look at the hub hole and see there is significant amount less of material between the lugs and the hub hole. The hub hole is close to 2.75" vers about 2.5" stock.

A lot people that deal with Ford Mustang stuff might have a set.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7980.0
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

59meteor

Since Ford make millions of cars with 14" wheels and disc brakes, there are 14" wheels that work, but unlikely actual wheels that were factory installed on a 57-59 Ford car, will work. I have Wilwood 11" disc brakes on my 59, which retain the stock drum brake spindles, supposedly some factory 14" wheels with fit, but they need to be from a disc brake application , since the backside of the wheel was changed when disc brakes became available.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

chapingo17

Ok that is good to know. Would any one know what kit would be the best for front brake disc conversion? Thank you for the links.

Ranch

Here is Wilwood disc for (57-58), 140-13653, I have a 58 Ranchero. You'll need their hose kit.
I used a Cardone Master Cylinder 131485 (Rock Auto) Drilled and tapped nose of housing for brake sender. Can't help you on wheel size since I already have 15x7 Cragars