News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wanted- 57 Fairlane Front Disc

Started by chapingo17, 2022-02-11 13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

Looking to upgrade my front stock drum brake system to front disc brakes with stock spindles. If anyone know of a use kit or good source for known good new front disc brake kit.

oldave57

I have been looking into adding front disk brakes also, and from what I have been able to find (with some help from others on this forum as well) is that the Wilwood front disk brake package is about the only system that will allow the use of 14" wheels (if you want to keep the original wheel size and wheel covers).  The only caveat to that is the original 57 wheels will not clear the calipers either, but you can find 14" wheels that will clear the calipers.  The inside clearance of the original 57 wheels is just a bit too "tight", but this system does allow you to keep the original spindles which is nice.

The Wilwood system:
https://www.wilwood.com/brakekits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-13653&year=1957&make=ford&model=fairlane&option=all

You will also need a new master cylinder that is set up for front disk/rear drum.  Others have used a 1968 Ford Galaxie master cylinder:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=309073&cc=1128440&pt=1836&jsn=492&jsn=492

The master cylinder does not include a power assist feature, so if you want power assist you will need to find a mating vacuum booster or hydro boost.  I had planned to try the master cylinder without power assist to see how much effort it requires.

The source for new/used 14" wheels that have sufficient internal clearance is a bit more difficult.  The Ford Granada models used 14" wheels with front disks and they would work, but they are getting hard to find.  I did find a source that indicates it will fit with the Wilwood disks:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-62-461204?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI887I_bXQ9QIV5PbjBx2INQUuEAQYBCABEgJeSfD_BwE

So as you can see, this conversion is somewhat involved (and not cheap).

Good Luck,
Dave

abe_lugo

Can someone post a Wilwood (edit) disc setup. With and without the wheels.  Also maybe note the hub size?
Is it a proprietary disc and caliper or can it be bought if you know the part #'s as far as replacements?

I heard good thing about this setup on other posts. 

I beg to differ though.  I just posted the link for 14" wheels that go on the Granada  conversion. 
If you have to get special wheels to clear the caliper. It's not a win-win.   
Perhaps shaving on the caliper a bit for clearance?

Just questions to help everyone.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

lalessi1

Quote from: abe_lugo on 2022-02-11 19:42
Can someone post a Wilson disc setup. With and without the wheels.  Also maybe note the hub size?
Is it a proprietary disc and caliper or can it be bought if you know the part #'s as far as replacements?

I heard good thing about this setup on other posts. 

I beg to differ though.  I just posted the link for 14" wheels that go on the Granada  conversion. 
If you have to get special wheels to clear the caliper. It's not a win-win.   
Perhaps shaving on the caliper a bit for clearance?

Just questions to help everyone.

Do you mean Wilwood?
Lynn

abe_lugo

Yeah sorry my fat fingers get the best of me sometimes.

Also here is the scare it's brackets. I think you just buy the discs, calipers and hoses. Looks like everything else is included.   
I used them for my 64 Fairlane and it worked out well

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=88

I'm both cases willwood or the scarebird.  Ask to see if your track width gets moved out a bit.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

lalessi1

Here is what I have. I think the rotor hub/disc is custom made by Wilwood but I am not sure. The calipers definitely are. They are 4 piston fixed calipers and the whole set up is very light. Personally I think it is the best way to go. Stock wheels will not fit by a mile, the profile is all wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291280155037?fits=Year%3A1957%7CMake%3AFord&epid=13027185068&hash=item43d1a6719d:g:82gAAOSwkAFhgFFY

Lynn

alvin stadel

Lynn, so what did you use for wheels?

lalessi1

I have 15" Wheel Vintiques Type 62 with dog dish caps. I do have a 14" spare that fits. It is a later model LTD wheel, 14 x 6.5.
Lynn

chapingo17

Thank you for all the great feedback. If I upgrade to brake disc I will definitely look into swapping rims to a 15" rim or 14" rim brake caliper compatible wheel rim size. 

59meteor

On my 59, I also have the Wilwood kit, which retains the original spindles, I have never tried any 14"wheels, as I had planned on using 15" stock looking steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps on my car. I have 15x6" Wheel Vintiques Series 62 wheels on the front, (15x8" on the rear), the wheels fit the disc brakes fine, and the stock small hubcaps fit perfectly.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ranch

On my '58' Ranchero I use Wilwood 140-13653. 
Since I could no longer find front drums (mine were all ready +.060) and no one arcs shoes anymore, I decided to go with the discs.  I had installed a 68 duel master years ago and when I purchased my Cragars I bought 15x7 anticipating that 14 would be to small to ever get discs.  But that was long before I found out that some 14" wheels will fit over Wilwoods.  If you go the Wilwood Site you can find a Drawing giving you measurements that will clear over the caliber, so you might want to check before you go and put out the bucks for new wheels. 
The 68 master cylinder has a 1" bore and is none assist, fitting go towards the fender.  I took mine apart and drilled and tapped a 1/8" npt on the nose of the housing for the break lite sender, then washed it all out and assembled.   I find the pedal pressure acceptable even in a panic stop, we try to keep them to a minimum.  You will need to purchase their brake hoses to match up with their fittings.  Installing the Wilwood brakes was a piece of cake, hardest part was getting the old stuff off and cleaning up.  Wilwood has good customer service and can help you with purchasing and installing.
Instructions are on their site in case you want to take a look before you buy.