News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

heads-up for rack and pinion users

Started by RICH MUISE, 2022-03-14 08:35

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Last week I hit a drainage dip at an intersection and for only the second time in 5 years, bottomed the front end out. A few minutes later, I had no power steering or brakes (hydroboost). I damaged / broke the pressure line from the hydroboost to the rack, At first I couldn't figure out how the heck that could have happened.
When I had my rack replaced last year, on the pressure inlet port, we couldn't get the banjo fitting to seal on the new rack as I had used on previous racks, and had to go with a straight ,"normal AN" hose fitting. The pressure port is the lower outer port. What we didn't realize at the time was potential damage to that fitting/line because it is positioned just a few inches directly above the left tie rod at ride height. The banjo fitting only stuck out a 1/2 inch or so but the straight fitting is close to several inches and puts it more over the tie rod.
I'm waiting for some new fittings to come in, one of them being a right angle..........hope that is enough to clear.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Thats too bad, glad you survived with no further damage. Loosing the steering is one thing but the brakes has got to be scary.. Did you drive it home that way?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I was just on the other side of town when it happened, so, yeah, I drove it home. Two arm steering, and kept it @ 25-30mph, so braking wasn't too bad. I'm kinda housebound anyways, since my wife had her knee replacement surgery two weeks ago. I guess it's the 10+ years she's aged since her other knee was replaced, but she's having a much tougher time with this one.

Ford Blue blood

Rich I am sure glad you were able to safely get her home!  That kind of thing is the exact reason one of the first things I take care of when building is a fully functional emergency brake.  Only ever had to use it once with the same circumstances, the rear flex line rubbed against the "new" exhaust system on the 36 when the car was at ride height.  Never noticed it as I never had the car on a drive on lift.  I had no brakes, wife and kids in the car but the emergency brake did it's job.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

If I had no brakes I would have called AAA. Just had to be aware of my surrounding traffic, drive slow, and really push on the pedal hard! I'm just hoping the 10 miles or so without fluid didn't hurt the power steering pump. I'm hoping my fittings come in today so I can make a new line.

Ford Blue blood

Rich I should have added that we were literally four blocks from the house in our subdivision.  No "traffic", no pedestrians or kids on bikes.  Had that occurred in town (Va. Beach) I would have done the same, called for a tow!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II