News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Radio Station

Started by alvin stadel, 2022-03-21 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

A old friend of mine called me from Rapid City SD, yesterday. As always the conversation went back to when we were in high school in the early 60's. As you all know all we had were AM radios and for us the number one station was KOMA Oklahoma City.  We could never get it in the day time but in the evening and night it was there, and we loved it.  We were wondering if KOMA is still on the air, and if they still play the great music we grew up with. Just wondering, good memories are hard to forget.

gasman826

CKLW was our AM Rock station pre-FM across the border in Windsor Ontario.  Last summer, I bought a '65 LTD with AM radio.  I tuned in CKLW...24/7 Windsor talk!

geraldchainsaw

would  that be 800AM  ?

alvin stadel

No, it was way on the right hand side of the dial, I know I am wrong but I think it was something like 1470, I just can't remember. I thought that maybe one of the guys here on the forum, that may live in or close to Oklahoma City might remember.

alvin stadel

I don't know why I did not do this earlyer. I googled it and it is still going and is located at 1520 am, and 92.5 fm.

Ford Blue blood

WLS AM 890 out of Chicago was my evening entertainment.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Arnie (Woo-Woo) Ginsburg out of Boston on The Night Train Show. Can't remember the station call letters........I'm sure Jay knows. WBZ??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

In my young teens ( mid 1980s) the music on (Austrian) state radio became utterly boring and mostly horrible ( well it was the 1980s mainstream pop...).
I tuned in on 92.7FM to radio MM2. which broadcast - from all places- former Yugoslavia, then still a communist country! They had a show with 1950s and 1960s American music only. Blues. RocknRoll. Soul, Rhythm n Blues, late 1960s Rock. That certainly had a huge influence on my life.
Yugoslavia was well known for its appreciation of roots music, Jazz, Swing and the likes. Their leader Tito was a strange person. while making his friends in the East and following their ideas, he still had a private 1954 Cadillac and a Douglas DC-6 airplane. While average people walked to work, the upper class drove American fintail cars.... :003: so therefore the love of American music!

PS, that very DC6 plane (Tito's private plane) is now in the hands of Red Bull energy drink producer Dieter Mateschitz and right here in Austria ! I was able to see ( and mostly hear) it flying several times, even from my own property! I love that thing !

djfordmanjack

Alvin, sorry for hijacking your thread but since everybody was sharing his youngster radio station stories,.... this escalated pretty quickly... :003:

jviera

Rich, Boston radio station was WMEX. JViera

CobraJoe

What the Beatles saw and heard as they took the stage in front of a sellout crowd of 13,909 at Boston Garden in 1964. Only the man at the right remains calm as the quartet appeared and their teenaged audience went crazy. That was "Woo Woo" Ginsburg, at the time the popular disc jockey on WMEX.BOB DEAN/GLOBE STAFF / FILE 1964
His radio show's sound effects were unmistakable: bells, horns, a squeaking, squeezable carrot, and a handheld trio of pipes whose train whistle toot gave Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsburg a nickname that was unforgettable.

His speedy voice - several pitches higher than radioland's chorus of commonplace baritones - was equally memorable, as was Mr. Ginsburg's self-deprecating presence as he punctuated his opening moments with funny noises:

"And a frantic, friendly, Friday night in Bostontown. Old Achin" Adenoids Arnie Ginsburg- Woo Woo for you-you on the "Night Train" show. All set with all the tops in pops."

Famous to baby boomers throughout New England in the 1960s and '70s on WMEX-AM, he was 93 when he died Friday June 22, 2020,in his Framingham home.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Fairlane62

KOMA still plays "oldies", but now that means mostly late 70s and 80s, Duran Duran, Madonna, ZZ Top, Prince, etc.
We have to face the fact that we are getting older.  :003:

Azlowrider

X2 on CKLW "the big 8" in Detroit. Always seemed to play more music without all the talk.

Lou

In the fall of 1956 I was a freshman in high school in Harding High, in Bridgeport, Connecticut, seeing as Bridgeport is less than 60 miles from New York City we could get all the New York radio stations on are radios. In late October there was a rumor that a DJ was playing are kind of music, calling it "Rock-n-Roll" from 7pm to 11pm 6 nights a week. I took me a few days to find out the stations was WINS,1010 AM, the DJ was Allan Freed.
This was a big deal, 4 hours of are kind of music 6 nights a week.
In the summer of 1957 WABC 1050 AM got on the Rock-n-Roll bandwagon but most of us stayed with 1010 WINS .