News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Swaybar help

Started by Ranch, 2022-04-11 07:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranch

I've owned a 58 Ranchero for some 50 years; I first bought it when I was in the service back in 71.   Pulled the tired old Y block and leaky trans and replaced with a 62 '406' and four speed.  Thinking that the FE probably weighed more than the Y block I took the front springs from the galaxy and swapped them into the Ranchero.   That sure did lift the front end (maybe 2"); so much that I had to flip the rear shackles to get the stance back to where the rear was slightly higher than the front.  Turned out to be a good thing cause the only exhaust I could find to fit my combo was a 2" long tube set up that has the front two tubes sweeping down and under the lower control arm so ground clearance would have been an issue at the collector flange.   Bolting the stock swaybar back on was certainly no fun but I managed to get it mounted back on.   
Now to get to my dilemma,  The car always handled like a boat,  it would always dive in to turns and sometimes the tires would squeal above say 45 mph, I never felt very secure when going around an 'on' or 'off  ramp to an interstate  at speed.  I blame the failure of the OEM swaybar on the geometry of my lower arms. So now I'm looking for an aftermarket set up to probably bolt to the front cross member then back to the control arm.  Would like a nice clean bolt on set up (not welded) so I can remove it if need be.  I seen the set up "Jerry's Classic Cars & Parts" has and he only sells it as a front and rear kit his vendor recommends both and won't sell just the front alone.   I tried to do a search on the new site but pictures are not loading up, which would have been a big help, hope you guys get that straightened out soon.  Hey thanks for any response, I am by no means a suspension guy.  This site has been a big help, sure wish there was an Internet back when I got this car.

Jeff Norwell

Ranch.... I just purchased my new Sway Bar from Larry's T-Birds.
Took me a total of 45 minutes to install.This is my second one from Larrys. The OEM unit is next to useless.... and doesn't help the car do a darn thing.
This upgrade is probably the best upgrade you can do for the money on a 57 or 58.
When I called Larrys on a Wednesday.... it was delivered to my door Saturday... and I live in SW Ontario.
The service I received was A1 and top shelf.A very nice black powdered coat black unit with instructions and all hardware.

check them out.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell

So. Pics are still not loading. sorry.......

RICH MUISE

Other sources for the HD front bar are SouthwestTBirds and Concourse. Most of us will tell you the back sway bar is not needed if you have good springs and shocks.......so "having to buy front AND rear as a set is BS in my book!
Flipping the shackles is a bad idea.......it will add to handling issues and instability.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I think if the front raised 2" you need to have the alignment done first..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Jeff Norwell's pic https://i.imgur.com/xpSE9m5.jpg

I don't see a way to directly reply to someone's post anymore.  There used to be a quote button at each post so it would be clear about exactly what you're replying to.
Am I doing something wrong or missing something in this new layout?

RICH MUISE

Looks like we only have the reply button. I use to copy(ctrl C) and paste (ctrl V) most of the time anyway, so I didn't even miss it until it was brought up.

Tom S

Rich, I've never been on a board that didn't have a quote function or a way to directly reply to someone's post. We should have that. I didn't get an email notice of your reply either. I tried to fix that & had no luck. Any thoughts on that?
I hope these issues can be straightened out or explained.
For a while there I was afraid we'd lost this whole board. Had that happen to another board that I'd been very active on. That sure sucked. Many years of good tech info lost. That board was specific to certain Ford model.

Wirenut

I installed a rear sway bar a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I pulled out of my driveway I noticed a huge improvement. My car has never felt so stabile and planted to the pavement. It still has a little lean in hard turns at intersections but nothing at all as before. I really noticed a difference during highway driving with 20 mph crosswinds.
 I'm with Jeff, one of the best upgrades you can do.

RICH MUISE

Not sure if Jeff was taking about the front or rear sway bar, but it was good to read that post by Wirenut/Kerby.

Jeff Norwell

Front sway bar.

1930artdeco

I am about a year off to getting my wagon on the road and I plan to use Larry's front sway bar. If I have to buy both then I will have to buy both.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

81TTA

I added the Concours bars (front and back) at the same time without trying just the front first.  It was amazing how much differently the car handled.  Added to the list of modifications to the car that turned out better than expected!

It would be interesting if someone did a back-to-back comparison of front-only vs. front-rear.  I'd guess most go with only one of those options without trying the other? 

One potential drawback of the rear bar is that it limits how far the axle drops when jacking up the car.  Makes removing/installing the rear tires a bit more of a pain even if extended travel shocks are used.  I think adding the bar put the axle drop in about the same place as it was with the stock shocks even though the shocks have more room to move.

Ranch

Thanks to all who responded.  I purchased just the front bar from 'Thunderbird Southwest'.  I called the other recommended Vendors but they didn't offer me any technical help, they could only tell me the same as on their site �.  Lance; the guy at 'Thunderbird Southwest' sent me the installation instructions before I placed my order (Good Guy) even he recommended the rear bar, but I passed.

The car has been aligned a few times in the 50+ years I've had it raised and will go back up on the rack after the bar goes on, but never hurts to remind people.

Good point '81TTA' about the rear bar and Tire removal problems even though I have my shackles flipped and longer shocks, others should take note of that.   I have the instructions for mounting the rear bar but it doesn't specify if rear suspension is loaded or unloaded for mounting the bar.

I'll keep you posted on feel of the front bar.

By the way I was able to change my Avatar.