News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Looking for Headlight Recommendations

Started by KYBlueOval, 2022-05-24 05:42

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I've been researching different headlights and would appreciate knowing what others have used. I've looked at Hella,and CIBIE, and many generic housings that use H4 Bulbs, and I find Pro's and Con's for each. So I turn to the experts.
What have you used?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

From someone who has actually done alot of night driving...........I have always just used the halogen bulbs. If I remember correctly, they are available in 3 wattages, or outputs. Haven't bought one for years, but O' reilly's use to carry the two higher ones, and Walmarts carried the lower one. Not wanting to be the guy with "too bright" headlights, I opted for the lower ones from Walmart. Never compared to anything else, but don't have an issue with what I have either.
BTW, no special wiring, it is what was in the car when it was a project car, driven daily, and with the old OEM wiring.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Xenon.  I've installed them in both my '57s.  They are a white light like late model stuff.  Lower amp draw.  Bolt in.  Cheaper than LEDs.  I buy the ones with DOT on the lens.  Re-wire is not necessary but I re-wire with relays so there is more amps to the lights and less draw on old wires and OEM headlight switch. The down side is they are more expensive than the old sealed beams.  Also, the lens do not have the nubs for headlight aiming equipment.

hiball3985

I used seal beam Helogens from Bob Drake for Mustangs. They use less amps then OEM sealed beams, brighter then OEM and aren't blinding like some late model stuff. about $25 a piece. They have FOMOCO script. I did have to file a little on the headlight buckets to get the 3 nubs to align.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the replies.......Rich and Gary, can you tell me what housings you are using? Are they generic or a brand name like Hella or CIBIE? How are the optics, and do they have a glass lens?
Thanks
JB

RICH MUISE

Mine are Sylvania. Glass lens. stock buckets/housings w/ no mods. They look pretty much identical to the oem lenses. They were like 8 bucks each. Stock headlight connector also. If your Ranchero had headlights installed, it may very well be these as they are what's sold as replacement bulbs. The "Sylvania Halogen" is in raised lettering on the center of the bulb, and a #201 at the top.
I just don't like the "new look" headlight bulbs on these cars. Just my 2 pennies.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I found them on one of the Jeep or Mustang parts sites.  The first time it must be a 7" kit that includes 7" glass shells with focus lines (so they look a little more like OEM sealed beams).  The shell fits right into the '57 headlight bucket with no modifications using the OEM stainless retaining ring.  The kit will also have the Xenon bulbs that the OEM wire sockets fit with no modifications.  The glass shell front is flat unlike the sealed beam being convex.  If the Xenon bulb fails, just the bulb can be replaced much like a late model headlight replacement.  These kits come with many options (colors, turn signals, running lights, etc.).

I went through my eBay History.  It has been more than three years ago.  I'll check my receipts file.

KYBlueOval

Rich, thanks for the information. I'm wanting a headlight housing that takes a H4 replaceable bulb. And like you, I like the "OEM look" and some of these housings have a lens that comes close to that look.
Gary, your description of your headlights is what I found on the Jeep and Mustang sites and what I want to use. Just trying find the right set up, as there are many available.
Thanks to both of you.
John

abe_lugo

Double check on what you find, I thin the Hella ones might have more of an OE glass with lines look than others, some have a clear plastic look with a few lines, kind of like those halo replacements.

Im in the midst of doing the same and was looking at the hellas, though pricey you one have to buy the housing once and just get the H4 style bulbs you want to use. I know a few are starting to use headlight LEDs also.

I just went to the  Walmart Sylvania bulbs on my Wagon. about 12.00 each, inflation!
But I have a few cars I want to convert to the brighter ligh, less amps.

Cibies- maybe a bit Euro looking- but well curved
looks like the Cibie's are drying up some on ebay  https://www.ebay.com/itm/154699195309?epid=22035406242&hash=item2404ca63ad:g:JXAAAOSw5QVewVe4

I found a place that has a few sections.  see link https://www.busdepot.com/lights-lenses    found via site where people were looking for the Cibies. https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=731251

There seems to be some details on bulbs if you read the descriptions and there seems to be a Hella lens/bulb with more curve to the front.

you still need to get bulbs after buying the housing

Hella- there seems to be different models, most are really flat in the glass part. Also the H4 molded into the front, not sure that is what you are looking for.

Please report back.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

KYBlueOval

Abe, thanks for the reply/information. I'm leaning towards the Hella Housings and then purchasing LED Bulbs from SuperBrightLED's separately. The CIBIE's are nice, but I like the "look" of the Hellas better. I'll look into the Lucas 328's that were mentioned in your reply.
In looking into H4 LED bulbs,SuperBrightLED's has Fanless H4 LED bulbs, and that is what I'm leaning towards. I believe they are shorter. That is important to me as I'm using '53-'55 Ford F100 buckets, and not sure yet if these H4 LED's will fit in the housing length wise. I think they will, but until I have them in hand, it's just an educated guess. I'll let you know when I get all the parts and pieces sorted out.
John

abe_lugo

John,
Not that my wife have LED conversion bulbs on her '33, but those are straight replacements into the original style  connector, they are bright but dont beam out like traditional headlights do, make take a photo of your headlights hitting a white garage door, then one hitting the road from the drivers seat. to have a comparison.

Also the bulbs she used are deep.

Do post pics when you get it going!!
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

lalessi1

Have you looked at these? Holley also sells Scott Carpenter LED headlights. I am considering using these. I have Wagner Halogen sealed beams now and they are OK.

https://www.holley.com/products/lighting/headlights/
Lynn

KYBlueOval

I have looked at them. Haven't found anyone to date, that has first hand experience with these lights, not to mention they are rather pricey.
Very easy for me to spend your money.......buy a pair and tell me what you think of them!
John

Ford Blue blood

John, An 89 Lincoln MKVIII I owned had Xenon HID lamps.  Those bad boys gave the best white light I have ever had on a car.  Side by side the color difference is remarkable when compared to Halogen lamps.  No idea if they are available in 7" round configuration.  They do require a ballast to operate and the bulbs are a little on the pricey side.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

FiveSevenLiter

I made my own.  When I bought my 1951 Mercury truck it had one 1954 AUTO-LITE Bulls-Eye 6-volt headlight, 10 years later I am 200 miles from home visiting a relative and he had a 1947 Ford lawn art with one still intact.  I took it home, bought a couple HID with replaceable bulbs, broke the glass on the new sealed unit, gently removed the glass on the Bulls-eye portion of the 6-volter and epoxied it in the new case.
Think outside the box.
Terry
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin