News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Electric rack&pinion?

Started by Fabulous50s, 2022-07-18 20:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

Good evening,

I've had a time of logging in for awhile and have some questions building up!

My recirculating ball manual box in my 59 has slop at the sector/output. Worn case and/or shaft. I followed the procedure of unbolting the pitman arn and tighten the sector shaft to a given preload.

The car still wanders and the play is in the box. I've wanted power steering for awhile and an interested in electric boost.

However, most seem to be a manual rack and the electric booster goes inline with the steering shaft.

I'd rather put an electric rack in and avoid the under-dash motor and eliminate my sloppy slow box at the same time.

No real room for a PS pump and I have a 90A alternator.

Thoughts?
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

abe_lugo

There is a good write up on installing those on the Hamb social group for 50's fords. 
I would say it's something to consist of you might ever go to and EV conversion anyhow.   :deadhorse:

The other way is to do the borgeson box. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

I guess I'm confused about whether your asking about an electric conversion, or a power rack and pinion. If it's an electric conversion, you can obviously disregard my previous comments.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe