News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Interesting car show in Vienna/Austria July 31st 2022

Started by djfordmanjack, 2022-08-01 03:07

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

No 57 Fords there, but a nice array of very different cars at a brilliant old brick factory. Sunday morning type of event. Some of you may enjoy these.

https://de-de.facebook.com/pages/category/Event/Coffee-Cars-Friends-543727176064225/

RICH MUISE

Perfect place for a great little car show! Excellent collection of Cadillacs......all my favorite years, lol. I'm not sure we ever got that version of the teal Karmen Ghia over here, and that split window bug is really neat......Any more pics of the brown ford that I'm assuming is a Taunus?
Thanks for sharing. Not much is going on in my neck of the woods. Our annual cruise is this coming Saturday in Amarillo.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Great show, some really nice cars. I took noticed of the yellow 57 pickup with the hood scoop, I just got a scoop like that in June for free from I guy I met on a camping trip. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, they are really pricey these days.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

I like the little Ford in picture 3.  Isn't it a Cortina?
Terry

djfordmanjack

Terry, Rich. The brown hardtop Coupe is a (ca) 1970 Taunus 23m or 26m V6. Probably Automatic, ( They had C4 transmissions). I will check if I have more pics. It was the most luxurious and most expensive German Ford that you could buy in the late 60s early 70s.They also had a fairly high hp rating, comparing to the average German car of the day. around 120hp from a 2.3 or 2.6 Litre V6. Which may sound ridiculous to an American used to the late 60s hp race. But the average German car of the day had around 50-60hp (all those DIN ratings are at rear wheels).
The teal VW Coupe is a Type 34 Karmann Ghia, which was based on the larger Type 3 ( Variant) platform with the flat 4 rear engine. It definitely was available in the US from around 61-69, but they are a rare breed.

Jim, I immediately saw the hood scoop on the yellow F100, but I didn't find the owner, so I have no clue what engine is hiding under that big hood. It wasn't too loud, so it could be everything from a Y, SBF or even FE.
I reckon I would have recognized the distinctive Y block romp though, even with quiet mufflers.
The scoop looks nice, But personally I wouldn't cut a hole in your truck, Jim...

djfordmanjack

Unfortunately didn't take more pics of the Taunus, but this is how it looks from the front. Not bad !

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2022-08-02 02:50The scoop looks nice, But personally I wouldn't cut a hole in your truck, Jim...
Thats why it's still in the box  :003: The last OEM scoop I saw for sale was $700, I guess they are getting really hard to find.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

You may as well treat it like a gold bar then. Might take up a little more storage space but you don't have to take it to the bank depot... well, at least it would be fun to see the bank employees face, when you ask them to lock it in your depot... :002:  :003:

All kidding aside, these days it is better to have some stuff for later than money in the bank.

terry_208

Thanks, G.  It's been too long since I was there to see the European cars.  Someday I'd like to get back over there but the chances of that are getting less with each passing day!
Terry

djfordmanjack

Terry, that is a problem that many people are facing today. a lot of flights have been canceled because the airports are lacking employees after the pandemic. flights and hotel cost is increasing all the time. Also travelling by car is getting extremely expensive over here. Friends took a 3 week trip to France and back ( 3000 mls) and the cost for road taxes/tunnels/ferries was the same as the fuel, can you imagine that. I just backed off a 8 day trip to Italy with my friends this week, because it would have cost me over $1500, without food.
The 1 day trip to Vienna cost me $100 for gas only ( even though I took my Transit van, which gets 25+ mpg). Travelling has become much more difficult than before.

Marc

Looks like a great show! What is that blue car with the white top, pics 16 - 18, parked across from the Eldorado and the big bull statue? Looks like an interesting ride.

djfordmanjack

Marc, that is the VW Coupe that Rich was also asking about. it is a ca 1966 Karmann Ghia VW Type 34, looking much like its smaller sibling the Type 14 Karmann Ghia Coupe. The small one is based on the beetle chassis, while the 34 is based on the larger Type 3 platform ( same as the squareback station wagon). It has a flat 4 engine which the air ducts are more similar to a Corvair than the conventional beetle or bus 'doghouse' style fan housing.
The bull statue is completely made and welded from old cog wheels, bolts, clutches and such.

Marc

Thanks for that. At first glance I thought maybe a corvair, but it looked too good to be a corvair.