News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

TKX to y-bock engine

Started by cos, 2022-08-18 18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

cos

Hello Members  Starting to look at OD trans options for 57 ranchero. Thought about autos but read here pros and cons have kinda decided on a manual. I like what I read here about tremecs trans. The new THX is expensive but really makes job expensive is the bellhousings. Do I have this right, only way to make this work is with a aftermarket BH (quick time or Lakewood). Did not  get a price on Lakewoods but Quick time retails for about thousand dollars. Thanks for any advice  Bill  Oregon

gasman826

Tremec makes Ford Toploader compatible TKO500, TKO600 and the newer TKX.  Unfortunately, these tranmissions replace the wide bolt pattern Toploader and the OEM Y-block bell housings used the narrow Toploader bolt pattern.  The TKOs offered a spacer plate but I don't think it was thick enough to make it an adapter.  Mummert has an adapter for an early T5.

I was getting ready to buy another TKO600 when I researched the T56 Magnum.  With the list of improved features and SIX speeds, three hundred bucks seemed well worth the upgrade.  I then found out the T56 would NOT bolt to my Lakewood bell.  It was a little hard to swallow the price of a new Quick Time.   

57chero

Have you checked with Modern Driveline in Idaho; I used them when I put a 5 spd. in my 65 fastback, you can check out there web site or call them and tell them what your trying do very knowledgeable guys.  I know they make an adapter plate for the T5 to the y block bell housing for under $300, I don't know about the TKX.

cos

Thanks for replies.  57 Chero I sent you a PM but don't think it worked. can I contact you?  Bill  Oregon

59meteor

Although I am looking into replacing the 4 speed Toploader in my 428 powered 59, for a mild Y block, I would think a stock T5 would be more than adequate, and with an adapter be much cheaper than buying a new TKX , bellhousing, and possibly a clutch.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I have been looking at the TKX, there seems to be conflicting info on whether or not the Ford version fits on a Toploader bell housing?? If it does I could use my clutch as well. I need a trans good for 600 lb-ft of torque...
Lynn

gasman826

I've had two different sources assure me the TKX is a direct replacement for the toploader...the later, wide bolt pattern.  The clutch disc will need changed.

lalessi1

I have a 1 1/16" 10 spline disc, won't that work? Confused as always....
Lynn

gasman826

Input shaft spline count is 26.  My other Tremecs are both 26 spline.

lalessi1

Lynn

59meteor

Unless Tremec has made a Toploader replacement TKX, it is my understanding that all the Ford TKXs have the longer T5 length input shaft, that is approx. 1" longer than a Toploader. I hope they will offer a TKX as a direct replacement for a Toploader, like they do for GM and MoPar applications. They do show 1 version that uses the 1 1/16"x10 spline input, like a small input Toploader, but only with one set of ratios, but there are 3 different gearing choices for a Ford with a 26 spline input.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

81TTA

If the TKX's are an evolution of the earlier TKO's, it makes sense they only have one gearset option for a 10-spline input.  I think there was only one TKO (TKO 500?) that had 10-spline shaft as well.  The rest of the 600 series had 26 splines.

For the TKO 500, they did offer a shorter 10-spline input shaft that should have made it an otherwise "drop in" for a toploader.  I'd guess the same holds true for TKX.  But, I haven't seen any literature or parts lists to confirm this.

I imagine it might have been cheaper, assuming the driveshaft needed modification anyway, to use a 1-inch adapter plate rather than changing the input shaft for TKO swaps?

lalessi1

In this description American Powertrain says it bolts up to a "standard Ford Toploader Bellhousing". This was my source...

https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/transmissions/tremec-tkx-5-speed-tuet18086-ford-10-spline-72-5th-gear/
Lynn