News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

KULTULZ

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-10-20 20:41When I worked in the oil fields back in the early 70's I was told that the largest paraffin contaminated oil was of the Pennzoil/Quaker State ilk. Something about their fields made them heavier in the paraffin waxes.

Correct, PENNSYLVANIA CRUDE.

Now, most oil stocks are still paraffin based, domestic and and off-shore.

If you decide to go through it, discover the needed modification(s) to make it a better engine.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

mustang6984

Oh I am definitely going to go through it. Since it will be out of the car fr firewall cleaning would be silly not to.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

So, didn't notice this until after I got her home, but the Fairlane has a nifty hitch on it...needs to come off and be sandblasted and repainted, but it is going back on. I can use it to haul my boat to the lake!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

Hugh, the other day, while messing around on the internet, I saw a Fairlane with power windows for sale.  It really piqued my interest. 
Terry

mustang6984

I think YOU should buy it! I can buy and install power windows for less than it would cost me to buy the car! LOL!!! Yea...you need that car!   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

I find that I'm interested in a lot of stuff but not interested enough to part with the money to obtain them.  I'm really tight with my money.  That is, I really hate to part with it
Terry

SkylinerRon

We used to see a lot of Y-B's with these kits back in the day. That one kinda looks homemade though.

There are two oil passages that makes two 90* turns that get stopped up. I've pulled Y-B valve covers that were like a jello mold with a solid mass of jelled oil and crud  around the valve springs and rockers!
I would check under a v/c before putting detergent oil in it! You may need to scoop out the crud with a spoon first so you don't release the crud and plug everything up.

Back then a lot of Y-B's got rebuilt shortblocks and the owners started using good oil and the cars stayed around longer as you really couldn't hurt a Y-B that you changed the oil regularly.

FYI- on 55 chev's the oil filter was optional! And GM recommended BonAmi to seat the rings.

Ron. 

Fairlane62

Yes, if you tear it down and clean the oil passages including the dogleg passages in the head you should have years of good service with proper oil changes.  Just be sure to get the rocker pedestals properly oriented over the oil passage during reassembly or you won't get oil to the lifters.

James

gasman826

I put a hitch on my wagon.  Pulled around my grandpa's trial buying more '57 parts.

mustang6984

Quote from: gasman826 on 2022-10-27 11:52I put a hitch on my wagon.  Pulled around my grandpa's trial buying more '57 parts.

I remember that trailer! You have gotten good service out of it.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Ron & James...thanks for the info. I am planning on a rebuild not too long after I get it running. doubt it will see more than 100 miles (more like 25 to be honest) before it is torn down. I will put fresh oil in it before I fire her up just to keep from possibly doing any damage with oil that is probably over 120 years old.
By the time it goes back together it will be clean enough to eat off of...inside and out.
James...the machine shop I was told to go to by a friend here is run by an older fellow in his mid 60's (younger than me though LOL!) and I will speak with him about the doglegs and rocker alignments. Hopefully he has some experience with both. I am told he is pretty anal about his engine work.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

Gasman, my wagon has an identical hitch. Except mine is toast from being hit at some point. So it will come off and I need to repair the frame and come up with another hitch for a trailer.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

So...got the tank out. We will not be re-0using this tank. Has a wee bit of a hole in it...and how it got there...is a mystery!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fairlane62

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-10-27 21:51I am told he is pretty anal about his engine work.

Anal is a good thing when building engines.  :002:

mustang6984

Then there is this...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker