News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

American made brake shoes

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2022-10-08 12:58

Previous topic - Next topic

BP57CUSTOM

No I didnt have the shoes arched to the drums. I've never had this problem with new shoes before. When I get a chance to look at them again I'll see how it looks. I had two (that's right) batteries go out on my car and truck today so I have been pre-occupied. I have some doubt about the friction material since these are chinese shoes. I'm   holding up on doing the rears for right now.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

BP57CUSTOM

Today I got around to looking at my front brakes I put on about 5 weeks ago. They performed very poorly on our trip to the Moonshine Festival last week. They smelled like they were burning, had bad brake fade and created a ton of brake dust in the drums. They appear to fit the drum ok. I knew the short shoe was a little                               
shorter than the original short shoe. I removed them today and compared them. The friction material is 2" shorter than the original. That means they have  roughly 15 or 20% less stopping power than the originals. I removed them and put the old shoes back on untill I can do better. Dont buy (BrakeBest Select) they are junk.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

KULTULZ

QuoteI removed them and put the old shoes back on untill I can do better.

Now are the old shoes original FORD do you think?

BRAKE - Spec - 1957-58 FORD - 58 Shop Manual.JPG

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

BP57CUSTOM

Yes they are, FOMOCO embossed in the metal, 20221029_150643.jpg
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

KULTULZ

Those are what I would have relined.

Have you found a reliner yet? All I have messed with are HP ($$$). I would check with WHITE POST as they are a class act. Make sure you discuss friction materials and what they offer.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

BP57CUSTOM

I havn't found a a reliner yet, have not looked a lot. I'm still watching for a nos American made set to show up somewhere. Here is a comparison between the original and the chinese set.
  Im afraid my picture posting leaves a lot to be desired.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

gasman826

Riveted shoes are generally the better choice if you can find them.  I have installed used, OEM, riveted shoes rather than new bonded off-shore stuff.  Just a thought, the original '57 brake design assumed shoes with linings that contained asbestos.  Todays remanufacturers can not use linings containing asbestos.

KULTULZ

Quote from: gasman826 on 2022-10-30 12:17Riveted shoes are generally the better choice if you can find them.  I have installed used, OEM, riveted shoes rather than new bonded off-shore stuff.  Just a thought, the original '57 brake design assumed shoes with linings that contained asbestos.  Todays remanufacturers can not use linings containing asbestos.

WHAT THE MAN SAID ...  :thumbsup:
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

BP57CUSTOM -

Did you get my PM?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2022-10-09 09:04I bought riveted shoes by Centrix 11200550 (Heavy Duty) from Rock Auto. They actually had different length linings for the leading and trailing shoes.

Just wondering, did you buy these for front or rear? According to their sizing chart, they are only 1.75" wide (rear shoe size).

BRAKE SHOES - 11 X 1.752 RIVETED - CENTRIC 112.00550.png
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

OK, I think I have found an out for FRT SHOES.

Is anyone interested as it is a lot of material?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

lalessi1

I bought them for the back. They didn't match the dimensions in the Ford Manual but they were riveted. The width was correct and the leading and trailing lengths were not the same. I could not find drums but since then I saw new drums on eBay.
Lynn

KULTULZ

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2022-11-18 08:22I bought them for the back. They didn't match the dimensions in the Ford Manual but they were riveted. The width was correct and the leading and trailing lengths were not the same. I could not find drums but since then I saw new drums on eBay.

THANX! for the reply. So they were for the rear ...
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

BP57CUSTOM

I ordered a pair of rear shoes a couple of days ago. They are relined nors made several years ago in Tennessee. If they are good I think I can get a front set as well. They are bonded but I think they will be ok.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

BP57CUSTOM

Update on brake shoes. well the nors shoes I ordered weren't the size advertised. I had to return them, that took several days. I have since ordered set of NOS Ford shoes for a 1985 bronco which I think will work. I'll let you know how it goes. This will be a good source for the front of 57's if indeed it does fit. Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor