News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sedan Delivery

Started by rovohn, 2022-10-13 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

59meteor

Quote from: rovohn on 2022-11-17 01:22Hey Rory
Yes,same blue as the Ranchero
How's the weather back east?
I'm at Franks until Friday,it's cold and cloudy here in Cherry Creek
Cheers John :canada:
Hi John, it`s starting to get cold out here on the East Coast now, only about 5C today, was in the high teens -low 20s a week ago. We took our dog to the beach this morning, pretty brisk, no more walking barefoot in the Ocean! I guess the Coquihalla Highway is on a "Need to moniter" mode for the winter, I imagine. Do you have the Canadian Sedan Delivery emblems for the front fenders? Even back in the 70s they were tough to find, even more so for unbroken ones! Usually break at the "N" of Sedan.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rovohn

Quote from: 59meteor on 2022-11-18 19:03Hi John, it`s starting to get cold out here on the East Coast now, only about 5C today, was in the high teens -low 20s a week ago. We took our dog to the beach this morning, pretty brisk, no more walking barefoot in the Ocean! I guess the Coquihalla Highway is on a "Need to moniter" mode for the winter, I imagine. Do you have the Canadian Sedan Delivery emblems for the front fenders? Even back in the 70s they were tough to find, even more so for unbroken ones! Usually break at the "N" of Sedan.
Hey Rory
I usually go via the Fraser Canyon as the snowfall is significantly less than the Coquihalla.
No I don't have any Sedan Delivery emblems,they are really hard to find.
A guy on the island has a pair but he needs them for his,I took a couple of pics with measurements and I might try to see if I can get decals made.
Cheers,John
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

mustang6984

Quote from: rovohn on 2022-11-19 12:14No I don't have any Sedan Delivery emblems,they are really hard to find.
A guy on the island has a pair but he needs them for his,I took a couple of pics with measurements and I might try to see if I can get decals made.

There are some guys out here in MO who have messed around with sand casting things like emblems. Let me ask around and maybe we can come up with some thing. I need some Courier tags as well...though sounds like yours are a bit more elaborate, we might still be able to create something if you have pics. I know a guy who has a lot of contacts in the car world here. He constantly surprises me, and I will see him this next week.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rovohn

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-11-19 17:47There are some guys out here in MO who have messed around with sand casting things like emblems. Let me ask around and maybe we can come up with some thing. I need some Courier tags as well...though sounds like yours are a bit more elaborate, we might still be able to create something if you have pics. I know a guy who has a lot of contacts in the car world here. He constantly surprises me, and I will see him this next week.
That would be great,I've attached a couple of emblem pics
Cheers John
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

mustang6984

Quote from: rovohn on 2022-11-20 11:27That would be great,I've attached a couple of emblem pics
Cheers John

You have a PM in your box....
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

FiveSevenLiter

John,
I know a car guy in Coquitlam that can 3-D print them.
Terry
 :canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

mustang6984

Terry...that would be even better. Maybe he would be interested in doing a few things? He could make a lot of people happy...and some jingle in his jeans as well.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Wow I have never before seen actual 'SD' scripts. must be a Canadian only thing ?
My old 57SD was Canadian built as well but all emblems had been shaved off before I got it. except for the tailgate handle.
The color is great ! is that Dresden blue or a darker shade ?
Interesting because the (painted) US SD brochure featured a SD in a similar medium blue color.

rovohn

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2022-11-23 15:40Wow I have never before seen actual 'SD' scripts. must be a Canadian only thing ?
My old 57SD was Canadian built as well but all emblems had been shaved off before I got it. except for the tailgate handle.
The color is great ! is that Dresden blue or a darker shade ?
Interesting because the (painted) US SD brochure featured a SD in a similar medium blue color.
Yes,Canadian only script,Courier in the US
The blue is a PPG "Essentials"single stage
Cheers John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

mustang6984

UPDATE on Sedan Delivery tags (and others)
I went to a shop today an hour north of me that does laser cutting. He can cut them but cannot get the beveled edges that are on them. HOWEVER...he told me to try a water-jet cutting place north of him in Joplin. They have the ability to do more intricate stuff than he can with his lasers. So...weather permitting I will be heading up there within the next 7 days. I took my one good Courier tag with me and showed it to him. I will do same when I go to Joplin.

I am on a  mission to find a place that can do all of our tags no matter what they are...so something should break soon I hope. Sand casting is a nice idea, but the work involved to do just one cast is insane, and the casts cannot be re-used.
I will open a thread when I have something concrete to report. I am hoping to land one shop to do anything we need.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Sandcasting is extremely reasonable. I had some slide handles that were originally cast in 1888 for the Ash street Prison, sand casted locally by the Henry Perkins Co (founded in 1848 Bridgewater, MA) for less than $400 each at a quantity of 3 pieces. (More pieces would have been cheaper)
These are extremely large pieces that were almost 1.75" thick on the gear end with a length of around 18". I have attached a picture to show one installed. The same piece CNC machined was over a grand. Might be worth a try.
Just my $0.02

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

I was looking into doing it myself...and by the time I bought all I needed to do mine and any one else's needs...I'd be out a bunch of money...plus there is the learning curve thing.
I'll check out the water jet company further. The stuff I saw was pretty sweet looking. I'll keep everyone in the loop.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

just a thought.
if you cut it from thin ss, like 18 gauge or 19 or 20. you can make it a peel and stick. will look good from 10 ft and will not have that very edgy lasercut look up close. certainly not a concourse version, but definitely better than to have a rough cut 1/4" thick laser plate script protruding like it came from a modern stealth bomber. :003: