News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ron Francis turn switch wiring

Started by 1930artdeco, 2023-01-08 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Hi All,

How did those of you with a Ron Francis kit rewire your stock turn signal switch? I am thinking I will need to splice wires at different lengths to keep a stock appearance and thickness of the wire bundle on the column.

And as long as I am there, how did you all clean it up-alcohol, WD-40, what?

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

RICH MUISE

Mine is Ron Francis, yes, oem turn signal, no. My kit had a  pre-wired connector for the multi-function switch (including turn signal) mine was plug-in and go. Only mentioned it so you wouldn't think I was ignoring the question.
I'm sure you mentioned it previously, but which Ron Francis kit are you using......might make a difference in responses.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

1930artdeco

I am using an express kit. Which I think I have thoroughly goofed up direction wise. I found it easier to go wire by wire with the diagram as I am running a stock system.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

abe_lugo

Mike.  I think I posted a how to on the Hamb for the generic or GM style wires to our Ford TSS switch. A couple have to be two wires into one.

I have to take a look. 
Sometimes it take a bit of testing to get it right.  I might have pics of the connections also.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

abe_lugo

I went and checked and could not find my post, but found this one.

I confirmed most all of them next to mine. I think Ron Frances might have extra colors, I saw pink as one of them.

55 Ford Wiring Code Painless Wiring Code

Ford Color >>>>   generic GM colors

Green >>>> Stop Light Switch >>>> White
Green/Orange Tracer >>>> Left Rear StopLight/Turn Signal >>>> Yellow
Green/White Tracer >>>> Left Front Turn Signal Light >>>> Blue
Blue >>>> Flasher >>>> Purple
White/Blue Tracer>>>> Right Front Turn Signal>>>> Blue
Orange/Blue Tracer>>>> Right Rear StopLight/Turn Signal >>>> Green

abe_lugo

see if this helps

1957 ford TSS 1.9.23-01.jpg

Jeff Norwell

I want to thank Abe(and everyone else) on this topic. I too am finishing the wiring on my BW custom 300..... all that's left is turn signals,dimmer with and routing wires to the HL switch.
Somewhere down the road.. someone (or possibly myself) cut the bullits off the TS male ends on the column.Not a big deal but I do favour this style connections.
I have a second Switch and will replace... clean and install.
I am using a Speedway kit(# and it is a GM style(Hate it, but they seem to be ALL gm style unless you want a custom kit)On a budget.. so...

Anyone know where I can find the female style connections like Ford used?
I have had no luck locally.

Again.. thanks to all who have posted.
J.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

And Adding this as well..... this kit comes with a Hazard flasher and wiring..I am interested in using it.. but nopt sure how to set it up... I will figure it out..but the goal is to finish the kit for what this 57 needs and add to it later.... 
this car needs to get completed.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

1930artdeco

Thank you all for your help. I have sort of reinstalled the switch (just need to hit it with some contact cleaner to clean it up), rewrapped it and installed new connectors. most of the lights and engine bay are hooked up, the rear half is connected and run up front. So, I will soon be off to the dash and routing of wires. Then of course I have the engine firewall insulation that has to go in, heater needs to be hooked up, floor replacement on both sides etc., etc., etc.,...you know the drill.....

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

abe_lugo

Jeff,
I too have the Hazard wire but have not had a chance to work it into the system,  I would suspect the schematic for it would be sort of like the add-on 6/7 wire Yankee TSS that has the pull hazard. I'll take a look and see what I can find.

Either way to use the hazard, you might need to put an inline on/off toggle (or accessory flarestat style switch), I believe that is what I did with my Cadillac wiring.

As far as the Female posts, I think the only way is to salvage them off an old harness.

husumfarmer

Thanks Abe really appreciate your help, Mike

thomasso

Bullet wire connectors are readily available on Ebay.  There are different sizes. As I recall the larger ones fit the Fords.  They are crimpons but you can remove the insulation, solder on and use shrink tubing to get a fairly authentic look.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Tom S

You can find bullet wire connectors at your local auto parts stores, hardware stores & good electrical-electronics supply stores. I think it's a good idea to support your local businesses. People that live in your community work there & spend $$$ at other businesses in your area.   

Ford Blue blood

Given this thread is "older" I'll jump in with respect to the 4 ways.  The wiring kits are set up for GM everything generally speaking.  RF offers custom options to tailor their kits to exactly what you are using, steering column, lights switch etc.  Other kits that are not as flexible as RF are all GM.  Having said that the flasher hook up is based on a GM wiring configuration.  The flasher hook up is in the column switching.  The early non-flasher car steering columns will not integrate with the single wire flasher set up in most kits.  They will require a separate external switch.  There were several OTC kits to put 4 ways in early cars back in the day.  They involved mounting a switch under/on the dash and splicing into the turn signal lines coming out of the column.  Easy to do but just not as "pretty" as the integrated systems of later model cars.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II