Info stock steering wheel and ring with aftermarket column and PS box

Started by cos, 2023-01-24 12:27

Previous topic - Next topic

cos

Hello Members  Trying to get a handle on using a PS steering box (borgesen) with after market column AND a stock steering wheel and horn ring. I have searched forum and I think someone commented it was not possible. Also using stock PS with control valve and cylinder, do they always end up leaking?  Thanks for any advice.  Bill Oregon

gasman826

Cardone Remanufacturer custom rebuilt my control valve.  I rebuild my pump.  I installed new hoses and an aftermarket slave cylinder.  No leaks.  The control valve rebuild must include new seats for the hose end fittings.  Over the years, the fittings are commonly damaged by over tightening.

abe_lugo

I would go with the rebuild of the whole setup if you have original PS and gearbox.

for the borgeson setup, you will have to change the shifting if its on the column also. most Columns are set up for GM wheels. you also will have to have some sort of space for the area between the wheel and the top of the column.

post about smiliar issue
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/late-50s-ford-steering-wheel-to-gm-column.1059422/

involves cutting and welding up an adapter.

Some people do the Borgeson conversion and use a stock column shortened. but you still lose shifting on and AT.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008