News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane 500 2 door-door

Started by chapingo17, 2023-02-09 10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

Quick question, on a 1957 Fairlane 500 sedan 2 door at the time of rebuild\paint body, I replaced passenger side door with one of a hardtop model. Now, door closes fine except is separated at the top corner window frame around 1/2" from passenger side frame. What my body guy did was install window frame into hardtop door (it bolted right on). Not sure if anyone has run into this problem or the window frame could be tweaked and will need to be square it out. Thanks in advance.

RICH MUISE

This is totally confusing...........you used a hardtop door for a sedan door, and the top window frame bolts on? I've never seen a sedan door that had a bolt-on window frame. A pic of this would be great. Anybody heard of this??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chapingo17

Yes, on the door from the hardtop there's places were to mount a window frame. I believe hard top vehicle did not had a top window frame for the door. I will take pictures when I get home.

abe_lugo

The two door club coupe has bolt on posts or pillars around the door.
So without the pillar the door can be used as a hardtop door. 

I parted out a club coupe a year or two ago. The pillar is shorter like the 500/Victoria roof. 

Your pillar might be tweaked or just need some alignment.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

abe_lugo

Club coupe door from the parted car, sent off to an custom chopped Edsel-Ranchero conversion

Just for everyone's reference. These usually have the stainless trim on the outside of the pillar.  Sometimes called a fake-faux hardtop
6AA252CD-8C79-4159-A815-0FB5951C05D1.jpeg4EAEE79E-7469-45CF-8401-C3EE2A0CB737.jpeg99ED61B9-7163-4A90-9C64-02866349179E.jpeg   

RICH MUISE

I guess this ol' dog learned something new today. First I ever heard about that. Thanks for the verication, Abe!

chapingo17

I will check the window frame. Thanks.

chapingo17

Is it difficult to take off the inner garnish molding from window pillar? Not sure if I would need to remove it in order to adjust window frame.

59meteor

The 57 Ford 2 door "imitation hardtop" Club Sedan may have been the first Ford to use the same door for a hardtop or sedan, but all the 59 Fords are like that, even the lowest cost Tudor sedan. The upper frame for surrounding the door glass, including the front vent window, unbolts, and can be removed to fit a hardtop, and I imagine, a convertible or retractable as well.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

djfordmanjack

Usually the real hardtops are appreciated by collectors much more, but imho the 57 Club Sedan and Coupe are really  great looking and I even like them better than the og hardtops. The chrome trim looks a little heavier, especially at the B posts, and even though they are not a pillarless design they look cleaner with the windows rolled down. on the real hardtops (coupes) I don't like the upper rear chrome channel that stays in place even when the quarter windows are rolled down.
Somehow the Club series 57s are among my personal favorites for the model year. (but I simply love them all).

abe_lugo

The inner garnish molding should be like 6 screws and comes right out. 

I would remove it, then check to the pillar.  There is two  bolts, one at the lower front of the vent wind and another at the bottom rear of the door.
Both usually get covered with circle metal caps. 
These hood the pillar in place.
You can probably loosen them.  Then close the door and maybe shim it and try to open it while in the same spot and then tighten.  You
Light need a helper.

RICH MUISE

Hey Eric, not to change the subject, but I've not been able to find any info on Rio Rancho's annual Park in the Park car show for 2023. Heard anything?

chapingo17

I was able to adjust the pillar not sure why my clearances are really tight but I worked. Rich I found this:
https://rrobserver.com/park-in-the-park-in-april-registration-is-now/

RICH MUISE

Thanks! everywhere I looked only had 2022 info.

chapingo17

No problem, once you register & go once you should get E-Mails.