News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Camber question

Started by moonshine custom 300, 2023-02-08 22:29

Previous topic - Next topic

moonshine custom 300

Steering/suspension question.  57 black custom 300 caster/camber thoughts.  Using Granada spindles and discs. I would like to gain  more negative camber and positive caster while doing a  Borgesen p/s install. Has anyone tried removing the rivets and moving the upper control arm mounting plate (on top of frame)  in and back? If my calculations are in the ball park,  about 5/8 in and 5/8 back will be about right.  The coil spring will not move from stock.  The shock will move , however still has plenty of clearance inside the coil spring. Pie cutting the upper arms or building new tubular arms are other options.  Any thoughts on this please.

RICH MUISE

This topic was moved here from "notices" board.
Welcome to the forum!
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Welcome to the forum! I have spent a lot of time trying to get my suspension where I wanted it. I managed to eek out a couple of degrees of caster by moving the upper arms rearward. the camber is pretty simple you just add shims. IF I remember 5/8" seems like a lot to move the frame bracket back. My car had Torino spindles it had a lot of positive camber with those spindles so I decided to stock spindles (I didn't like the Ford  disc brakes anyway). I switched to '59 upper arms and pivots because they used a different bushing design (like later Galaxies and Mustangs) and that allowed me to move the arms rearward slightly. I cheated on the max allowable difference between the shim stacks by 1/16" and as a result I got almost 3 degrees of positive caster. What alignment specs are you trying to achieve? Are you lowering the front? Raising the rear? I think I lost all the caster I managed to get by changing the rake! If I were doing things again I would use Fatman arms and dropped spindles. Their arms relocate the upper ball joint for additional caster.

Look at this  older thread.

https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=8720.msg85392#msg85392

I know another guy on the forum modified his upper arms, that seems to me a better option than modifying the frame.

5/8" seem excessive, there is a reference in the shop manual as to the relationship of movement of the arm and the number of shims to degrees, I will look and see if I can find that again.

BTW, I love my Borgeson steering on my Custom.

PM me if you'd like more details!
Lynn

moonshine custom 300

Thank you for the thoughts on my caster/camber question.  I have moved the upper arm mounting plates by removing the 6 factory rivets. After alignment was triple checked plates were welded back onto frame.    Moved them in 5/8 and back 5/8.  With 3 each 1/16 shims on both bolts I now have 5 degrees positive caster and  1/2 degree negative camber.  Cut 1 coil off bottom of coil spring and heated the end bending it to fit into spring pocket same as stock.  Roll center is much improved now also. The front lower a arm pivot point was moved down 1 inch....now we have anti-dive which 57 Fords lacked. All specs confirmed on alignment rack.  This may seem like an extreme job but it was completed in day and a half. Borgesen box conversion went well. Bought  2 feet of 3/4 cold rolled round stock and 6 inches of 3/4 ID DOM tubing.  Milled one end of the 3/4 rod to 3/4 double D to fit into the new rag joint. Determined length of old column before I cut it off from the 57 box. New shaft welded to length to top half of the 57 shaft using the DOM as a sleeve.  It is strong! Stock steering wheel.   Motor is based on 1969 Mustang 351 HO short deck block. It  is now  406 Eagle stroker, Edelbrock performer heads, vintage Shelby intake,Mustang BBK short headers,energy suspension Mustang (tall) motor mounts. Fresh AOD built to Lincoln specs.  I am only sharing what I have done to my car and in no way suggesting that it is the best way....Really enjoy the forum!!!! 

lalessi1

Where were you 5 years ago? :002: Sounds like a really good modification! If I knew then what I know now I would have done that (and may still). I would love to see pics if you have any. I am not sure that your upper arm relocation would clear my FE headers though. Your build sounds really cool. Thanks for the feedback.
Lynn

hiball3985

I think all of us have suffered the Granada spindle issue :005: Who ever came up with this swap originally was only concerned with braking and never thought about alignment. I like your idea of moving the upper and wish I had known of the issues when I did my front end work.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang