News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake line sizes

Started by terry_208, 2023-03-11 11:47

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

What size brake lines have been used in rebuilding brake systems? What size lines have been used on which systems, disk, drum and disk/drum.

Terry

RICH MUISE

Mine is disc/disc and I used 3/16 NICOP. I probably shouldn't be talking about a safety system like brakes, 'cause I'm not a certified mechanic, or even a very knowledgeable one, but it's my understanding if you go to bigger lines, you may have issues with your master not moving enough volume. It would seem logical that bigger lines would be better, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

Yes, all the factory brake lines on these old Fords (and most other brands as well), are 3/16" tubing. And like Rich, I made all new brake (and fuel) lines for my 59, with NiCopp tubing. It is so much easier to work with and bend, and makes nicer double flares. A bit more expensive, but IMO, well worth it.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KYBlueOval

NICOPP is VERY easy to work with, you will not be disappointed.
A little more expensive, but well worth the extra cost.
John

mustang6984

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2023-03-11 15:07NICOPP is VERY easy to work with, you will not be disappointed.
A little more expensive, but well worth the extra cost.
John
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 :003: A case of "you get what you pay for"...in spades! :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

Thanks. I have 1/8" and 3/16" NiCopp on hand.  I was asking because my og drum brake lines were 1/8"but that seemed a little small.  I was afraid that by going larger I may not have enough volume in the hydro boost for flow to the calipers. 
Terry

59meteor

Virtually all North American cars, for decades, have used 3/16" brake lines. About the only cars that I can recall using anything different, were 60s full sized Chevrolets, with single chamber master cylinders, and only from the master cylinder down the the brass block that feeds the lines going to each individual wheel cylinders. And all those feeder brake lines are also back down to 3/16"
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

flatbedfred

I recently acquired my 57 Skyliner. I was surprised by the 3/16 brake  lines on it because both my 38 Chev sedan and my 51 GMC 1 Ton both had 1/4" lines.

59meteor

I have never seen any Ford cars with anything but 3/16" brake lines. I have seen some older Chevys with 1/4@ lines from the single master cylinder, down to the splitter block.

terry_208

Everyone's correct! My lines were 3/16". I forgot tubing's measured o/s while pipe is measured i/s. Mine rear line now has 1/4" tubing back to the point it crosses over the frame near the rear tire.   
Terry