News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

idler arm replacement

Started by Gregs57, 2023-04-07 12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregs57

Hi All. While doing a complete front steering OH I have come to the idler arm. After installing the new bushing{nut} in the center link and frame bracket I installed the idler arm to the specs in my 1957 manual. It states turn the idler arm till in bottoms in the bushing{nut} and then back out 19/32 give or take 3/64. Well 19/32 is .59375 inches. That is almost 5/8ths of an inch. If you do this on the bracket end you wind up with a lot of slop in the whole assembly. Am I missing something here. Thanks
57 Ford Custom 300 2dr
57 Meteor Niagara 300 2dr

lalessi1

If you replaced the bushings on the idler since they screw on the the shaft. there shouldn't be a difference in the "slop" based on how far they are screwed on. I think the spacing is for the seal. Maybe the threads on the arm itself are worn?
Lynn

Gregs57

Hi Lynn. The bushings thread into the center link and the frame bracket. Those threads are fine and tight. My issue is the set up clearances indicated in my post from the Ford manual. If I use those specs by turning the idler arm out of the center link bushing and the frame bracket bushing the slop is increased. All parts pertaining to the idler arm are new. A friend of mine who is an old stock car racer/ builder put forth the idea of running the idler arm up snug, back it off until facing straight ahead install the frame bracket up snug and back off till it aligns with frame. By doing that if I get approx 1'8 in up and down play lock it up and get an alignment. I'm confused. I could bolt it all together and let the alignment shop decide the best solution. Thanks for your interest and reply. Greg
57 Ford Custom 300 2dr
57 Meteor Niagara 300 2dr