News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Starting over

Started by JimNolan, 2008-12-18 18:33

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Well guys,
      I bite the bullet. I wanted the car off the frame so the frame could be better rustproofed and to replace some rusted body mounts. Turned out that the last guy I had work on the car liked bondo. In fact, he liked a lot of it. I let the new body man talk me into a frame off with the exception of undercoating the bottom instead of painting it( I gotta be able to drive it). I would have never dreamed this car had that much rust. Well, it's being taken car of. My kids are watching their inheritence go down the drain. If I can get the car done before they commit me to a mental institution I'll be OK. Jim
Go to the under construction gallery to see the damage.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Holy cow, I never would have thought by looking at the car it had that much rust.....But, it's looking better all the time.  You going back with the red and white?  Keep us posted.  I'm stuck on mine until after Christmas, so hopefully, I can get some pics of my junk posted.  Keep up the good work, Jim...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   Yes, it's going back Red/White. The dash isn't getting repainted but the headliner, carpet and seats are getting redone. My son asked me what the difference would be in how the car looked when this restoration is over. I told him that he probably wouldn't recognize the difference, but I would. Jim
PS  Were're in an ice storm right now and I need to be on the road to Mississippi monday morning.

wolfpupsdad

damn jim , sorry ya had to run into one of them BONDO kings. i never have figured out how these people can sleep at night.
well looks like ya got things under control now and thats a good thing. keep us posted on the progress.

JimNolan

wolfpupsdad,
     I get to visit the restoration every day. I'll know this time what is being done to my car. The last guy was too busy to let me hang around. This guy wants you to see what he's doing. He's never worked on a 57 before and he seems to be enjoying the work. He claims that I won't be taking home class trophies anymore, I'll be in contention for the best of show trophy. The problem is that most best of show winners usually trailer their cars to a show. I'm the only person in this part of the country I know of that drives their car to the grocery store and puts about 15 to 20 thousand miles a year on their car. Show cars can't hold up to that. Jim

geraldchainsaw

hi Jim,    where do i find (under construction gallery)?,    jerry

Frankenstein57

Click on gallery, then scroll to what you want, Mark

wolfpupsdad

i hear ya jim, why have a nice lookin car if ya don't drive it???? my wife drives our 57 to work and to the store, she takes up 2 parking places when she does, tho and no one seems to mind. if they do , tuff s##t i say, lol. the 47 will get the same treatment, build it , drive it. enjoy it.besides my pocket book aint deep enough for a true glamor trailor queen, lol.