News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering stops on Lower control arms

Started by Gregs57, 2023-06-21 09:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregs57

Morning All. So I replaced nearly all parts on the front end of the 57 Niagara 300. Ball joints upper and lower, all tie rod ends, idler arm, all upper and lower A arm bushings. The only pieces not replaced were the pitman arm and center link. On first test drive I noticed that the steering wheel didn't go as far to the right as when I turned to the left. Thought maybe I messed up on the number of turns when replacing tie rod ends. Took car into shop for alignment and they found the same thing. We discussed situation and couldn't find the culprit. They set toe in, caster and camber and left me to figure out issue. Steering wheel is slightly off center at about 1 o'clock. Got home and put on hoist in shop. When you turn steering wheel as far as it will go to the left, arm on steering spindle contacts stop on lower control arm. When you turn wheel to right the arm on spindle is about 1 inch away from stop but pitman arm is all the way to left and almost touching frame can't go any further. Pitman arm has not been removed from box. I measured the length of both tie rod assemblies and they are both about 20 3/8" inches in length. What am I missing here. I compared it to my 57 custom 300 and it is the way it should be. Help. Thanks in advance
57 Ford Custom 300 2dr
57 Meteor Niagara 300 2dr

gasman826

Power or manual.  Power steering links screw into the PS valve and could be incorrect.  '57-'59 manual and power links are kind of interchangeable with '60-'64.  The later links are slightly longer (or shorter...memory thing) so adjustments are necessary.  A previous owner may have swapped in a later link.  The tie rod ends can be adjusted to make up the difference or replace with the correct link.  Whatever the issue, the steering wheel needs to be centered.  The OEM wheel and steering shaft were originally splined to mesh in only one spot.  The sector gears are made with a high spot for more stable straight driving.  So a straight steering wheel is NOT an anal issue...it is a drivability issue.  You may want to consider another alignment shop.

Gregs57

Thanks for the reply. It's a manual steering car. Are you talking about the center link from Pitman arm to idler arm. Thanks
57 Ford Custom 300 2dr
57 Meteor Niagara 300 2dr

gasman826

Being manual steering, there is no issue with the threads on the control valve.  I would also make sure no one changed the steering wheel or filed an extra spline to accept another steering wheel.  The wheel and steering shaft have 'timing marks' to align the steering wheel to the gear box.