How do I install of the rubber seal between the innerfender & fender?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2023-06-26 15:37

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I want to prepare the inner fenders for the installation of the rubber seal that goes between the inner fender and the fender, before I get the inner fenders painted.
First question is in reference to the two photos below.Which way is correct?
The First photo, or the Second photo? Maybe neither is correct! Please tell me what is correct.
After the correct placement is resolved, how have you attached the rubber to the inner fender? I believe when built, this rubber strip was stapled in place, based on the pairs of holes.
I can "staple" the strip in place by hand, along with some glue. I've also considered using some stainless steel safety wire and glue.
Enlighten me please on the correct placement and how you attached the rubber to the inner fender.
Thanks
John

Thanks,
John

Ford Blue blood

John I believe photo #2 is the correct position for the seal.  I used 1/8" pop rivets.  I put a washer on the head side to keep the rubber from pulling through.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I bought that seal, but never used it. I found a self-adhesive seal made for model A (?) doors that was a hollow half-round, about 1/2" wide. Stuck like crazy.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

glr7533

I haven't posted in a while so I hope the pictures show up. I tried the staples put didn't have very much success so I used stainless steel wire.IMG_1373 (1).JPGIMG_1374 (1).JPG   

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the stainless steel wire. I think that would be easier.
John

mustang6984

Quote from: glr7533 on 2023-06-27 09:45I haven't posted in a while so I hope the pictures show up. I tried the staples put didn't have very much success so I used stainless steel wire.IMG_1373 (1).JPGIMG_1374 (1).JPG   

That looks good! And like John said...probably easier!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

John..On my black 57 ,we did something a bit different.
We used early ford welting and safety wired it into the existing staple holes.....
We used the welting.. because I had it. It provides a good cushion and anti squeak... and with the safety wire. it will not come off or move.

It was a little unconventional, but worked.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

KYBlueOval

Thanks Jeff. I have the rubber strip that is called for, as well as the SS wire and the pliers, so I'll give it a try. The rubber strip is inexpensive, so if it doesn't work like I would like, no big loss, and  at that point I'll look into Plan B........using the early Ford welting.
John