News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What voltage regulator do I need

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2023-07-20 18:25

Previous topic - Next topic

BP57CUSTOM

After  killing the battery on my 57 on a road trip last year I'm going to get a new voltage regulator just to be safe. I have put a voltage gauge on it and everything looks good now, but I wouldn't want it to stick and cause trouble on this years trip. The trouble is do I need a 30 35 or 40 amp regulator and I don't see amp listed on my current regulator. It was a heater and radio delete car.It could have been a bad battery but was only about a year old. How do I know what to buy.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Ford Blue blood

Alternator - generator?  If it is a standard "old" Ford alternator (65 - 70 for example) the regulator is the same for all.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Marc

Not 100% sure but I believe the original regulators were 30 amp, If you're running the original generator then that will be fine.
If you are running a later model alternator then chances are it would be internally regulated and you wouldn't even need the old external regulator.
Both Napa and Rock Auto sell replacements. Don't forget to polarize the new regulator. The shop manual has instructions for doing that.

BP57CUSTOM

I am still running a generator, it may be the original. I had the generator rebuilt 5 or 6 years ago. The car just has 66k miles on it. So I can use either of the 30 35 or 40 amp generators? I guess with the original wiring the 30 amp would be safer for my car.
Thanks Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor