News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 ranchero project 4.6 swap

Started by stevec, 2023-08-23 18:41

Previous topic - Next topic

stevec

i spent some time looking around here on this great 57 gord site before i tackled tbis project, I thought I'd put a few pictures of my take on a 4.6 dohc swap. I used lincoln aviator exhaust manifolds which puts the exhaust exit behond the steering box and dropped the engine down more than I've seen guys do. I modified the crossmenber and moved the steering box over a 1/2" to get this done.. the car is running a 5 speed and carburetor  with my own crafted manifold adapters using a 302 intake manifold. along with a set of valve cover covers we made here.
thanks

mustang6984

Those valve covers look sweet!
I assume you found Rich's build thread from when he dropped a 4.6 into his ride?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

Very NICE! That is a great look and the use of the 302 manifold is well thought out. How are you going to handle the ignition system?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Looks great. I'm noting you deleted power steering, power brakes(?), and the serpentine belt system, as well as the mentioned ignition. I'm curious about the reasoning behind starting with a new school motor and converting to old school. That is not a criticism, I'm just curious. I'd like to see pics of the Aviator exhaust. I guess I'm not sure if I ever knew they put 4.6 dohcs in the Aviators.
Welcome to the forum, btw.
This is my build thread Hugh mentioned.   https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5795.0
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

stevec

howdy
the 4.6 as far as the ignition goes will run without the computer. the ford uses  edis ignition. problem is there's no timing advance. there's a couple companies that make a box that solves that.  I like the old school look.  thanks

stevec

left side manifold picture