'57&'58 Ranchero/ Wagon Rear Bumpers, are they identical?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2023-09-06 05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Can anyone on the Forum tell me if the rear bumpers for '57 and '58 Wagons and Rancheros are identical?  IF they are not identical, what are the differences?
I know that the'57 and '58 rear bumper guards for Wagons and Rancheros are different. Are the mounting holes for the bumper guards and the license plate lights, in the same locations, '57 to '58? I don't know and hope someone much more knowledgeable than me will have the answer.
Thanks,
John

Ford Blue blood

John my bumper came off a 300 sedan.  The bumper brackets that were on the car lined up and mounted perfect.  The only difference I could see was there were no little holes for the licence light wires to go through the bumper.  To answer your question, I don't know:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

57chero

Yes, the 57-58 wagon bumpers are the same as a Ranchero and like you said the bumper guards are different between the 57-58 but mount in the same holes. The 57 sedan bumper will bolt up but the bumper guard holes are spread farther apart for the smaller car style bumper guards, and you wouldn't be able to let the tail gate down without hitting the tips of the guards.

KYBlueOval

57chero........Thanks for your rely. That answers several questions. I appreciate it.
John

djfordmanjack

My old 57 Sedan Delivery had a 58 bumper and guards. Unless you are going for a fully original resto, imho the 58 guards look better anyways. Interesting though, the gap between the guards ( and license plate space) seemed to be a lot narrower than on my 57CS wagon, dunno, but it does't seem they mount in the same place, to me.

KYBlueOval

DJ,I agree with you that the '58 guards look better, and I have acquired a pair to use on my Ranchero. I see the difference in the spacing of the guards........interesting. I think the thing to do is compare the bumpers side by side and see where the guards bolt on.
Thanks for the reply!
John

hiball3985

Just a thought but they may have redesigned the 58 bumpers to put the license plate lights closer so they actually light the plate  :003: 
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57chero

After looking at pictures it Looks to me the 57-58 Ranchero & wagon bumpers are the same with the same amount and position of the bracket holes they just added new holes closer to the license plate for the 58 guards.

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN