News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

retrofit delco 1 wire alt to fe gen bracket

Started by 58villager, 2023-10-09 13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

58villager

hey folks. looking to retro fit delco 1 wire alt to fe mount. anyone got any info?
58 edsel villager big block (300 6cyl )58 edsel bermuda resto. project,78 ford king cobra 5.0/4speed

59meteor

Personally I am not a fan of "1 wire" alternators, and even less of a fan of putting GM components on my Fords. With all the GM 1 wire alternators that I have seen stuck on Fords, they require the mounting hole to be drilled larger, to fit the Ford mounting, they need the engine to be revved up to make the alternator "kick in" to start charging, and will not make the factory GEN light in the dash to function. On my 59, with a 428CJ FE engine, I swapped out the factory 30 amp generator, for a 130 amp Motorcraft 3G alternator , which was originally meant for a 95 5.0 Mustang. It bolted directly to the factory FE alternator brackets, the factory GEN light works like it did with the generator, and it starts charging as soon as the engine starts. I replaced the alternator pulley, which is meant for a serpentine belt, with a single or double V belt pulley from an old 1G Ford alternator. The 3G has an internal voltage regulator, so I removed the original voltage regulator from the generator, (which provided a perfect spot to mount my Duraspark ignition module). Yes, there was more than one wire to wire up, but only a couple more, and it was pretty simple. It has been working perfectly for 3 1/2 years, and 6000 miles so far.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

2X on the 3G! The 2G is a good alternative as well.  Just get an up-graded alt-bat wire.  The stock wires had a tendency to get hot (burn) and caused problems.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II