News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front upper V bumper guard info needed

Started by abe_lugo, 2023-10-21 19:41

Previous topic - Next topic

abe_lugo

Scored a V bumper guard for the front bumper on the wagon

No small brackets.
Does anyone have and extras or at least photos of them? Also photos of the rear on how they are mounted would help.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

mustang6984

I didn't even know such a thing existed. I have never seen one on a car.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

abe_lugo

You see them mostly on Slyliners and maybe some regular convertibles. I always thought special vestibule guards were needed but apparently they can sit onto the guards as is. Just needs some. Clamps. But not sure what they look like.

RICH MUISE

I don't have a clue, but in my weak mind, I would think it would take more than a clamp to be an added protection factor. I would think if just clamped, and bumped, the bar would come off and be possibly pushed into the grille causing more damage than prevented. Are there holes in the bar where it would contact the bumper guards? If so, I would think the dealer installation procedure would be to drill holes in the top of the bumper guard to match, allowing a bolt to pass thru.
Nice score Abe!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Looks like maybe a carriage bolt slides in the slot and tighten it through the bumper guard after a hole is drilled.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ray

I have a couple, with the grill guards. Everything just bolts to the bumper guards. The grill guards also bolt to the outside of the bumper. All that is necessary is to check them against a straight bumper. I can take a couple pictures if you like but I am a bit challenged on posting pix.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

abe_lugo

Some pics would help.  I'm feeling the carriage bolts though. I wouldn't drill these bumper guards.  Might wait to find another clean set ad I don't want to drill them.

mustang6984

Quote from: Ray on 2023-10-22 19:57but I am a bit challenged on posting pix.

Ray...if you can e-mail them...then feel free to send them to me, and I'll be happy to put them up for you.
Hugh
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Great find, Abe, those are really rare!
I think it will look great on your mostly or all stock wagon. They may be a little clumsy from a designer point of view, but rare period correct factory accessories are always nice to have.

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

abe_lugo

Thank for the info.  Will have to look for a set of bumper guards to drill holes.

Tom S

Quote from: abe_lugo on 2023-10-23 00:22Some pics would help.  I'm feeling the carriage bolts though. I wouldn't drill these bumper guards.  Might wait to find another clean set ad I don't want to drill them.
I wouldn't drill the bumper guards either. If I did want that V thing & couldn't find some drilled B-guards I'd be inclined to build  brackets that can bolt to the bumper brackets or the B-guard bolts, comes up & hides behind the bumper guards & attaches to that V. I think you could put the V very near to it's 'proper' location.