News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Fairlane Vacuum ports

Started by chapingo17, 2023-10-29 15:31

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I'm trying to find out if there are extra vacuum port on the Y-block engine. I currently have a 292 Y-Block two barrel carburetor. I have two vacuum ports a small one by cab to distributor vacuum advance and another port from the engine right underneath carb. In installed a PCV right on top of the valve cover valley and cap out draft. PCV valve is connected to intake tap and share vacuum with heater control selector. By reading a couple of posts On-Line they say is not a good idea to share vacuum port with PCV valve. I'm having an issue were if I drive I get an oil trace on top of the hood by oil filler.

59meteor

If it was me, I would look at getting a carb spacer with a vacuum nipple, or at least find a spacer thick enough to drill and tap a fitting into. I have had a variety of different factory Ford 4 barrel Bakelite carb spacers, of various thickness, and all the spacers that had a vacuum nipple, had connecting passages in the spacer, to draw from each throttle bore.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

chapingo17

Yes, that sound like the route I'm going to take. Does any have a used 2 barrel carb spacer for a Y-Block? I drove the car and pulled the oil filler cap and I could see blow by. I rebuild engine not too long ago it only has around 3.000-4,000 miles on it.

59meteor

A carb spacer from most any Ford with an Autolite 2100 or Holley 2 barrel should work on a 57 272 or 292. Same mounting pattern. And many mid 60s thru late 70s 2 barrel Ford V8s used a vacuum port for the PCV valve.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

I know the 2V spacers from FE's won't work and I don't recall what the ones from smaller 289 look like.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

Not sure if they make them with a vacuum port but a Phenolic spacer would also give you the benefit of less heat soak in the hot driving season. Wouldn't be too difficult the drill and tap for a pcv port in one.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

chapingo17

Thank you for all the feed back, I looked at Ebay and found one from a 289 engine. It looks the same I hope it fits.

thomasso

when I couldn't come up with an adapter to mate a 780 Holley to a 425 nailhead manifold I eventually made one from a bomboo cutting board. Very hard and appears to be gasoline proof and hard enough to thread for fitting. A chunk of aluminum had to be ordered and was expensive.  Yeah I know but it worked for me. Im old school and cheap.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

mustang6984

Quote from: thomasso on 2023-10-31 14:29Im old school and cheap.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like it! Best way to be! :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2023-10-31 09:18I know the 2V spacers from FE's won't work and I don't recall what the ones from smaller 289 look like.
Why wouldn`t a 2 barrel spacer from a FE fit? All Autolite/Motorcraft 2100s and Holley 2 barrel carbs have the same mounting pattern. I could see a later EGR plate not working, but no isea why a spacer from a FE wouldn`t work.

hiball3985

Quote from: 59meteor on 2023-10-31 18:41Why wouldn`t a 2 barrel spacer from a FE fit? All Autolite/Motorcraft 2100s and Holley 2 barrel carbs have the same mounting pattern. I could see a later EGR plate not working, but no isea why a spacer from a FE wouldn`t work.
The bottom of the spacer is open/hollow and the area ere the PCV port is extends rearward about an inch and the is no flat surface on the Y manifold for it to seal on and you would end up with a major vacuum leak. Been there done that  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

chapingo17

Where could I tap for a PCV Valve on a Y-Block? My intake manifold it only has one vacuum port.

oldave57

The photos attached show the location of where I added a 1/4" NPT tap for the vacuum line to the PCV valve on my 1957 Fairlane with 292 engine.  I no longer have that car so I can't give you exact measurements but I believe the photos provide a good indication of location.  The added port was as close to the center of the manifold as possible as I recall.  My present 57 Ford has a 312 engine with 4 barrel carb and I also added a PCV to that engine but it was simpler since the 4 barrel carb had a vacuum port out the rear to use.

Good Luck,
Dave

chapingo17

chapingo17

Before all the replays, I actually ordered a 2 carb spacer with a PCV vacuum port from a 289 Mustang. Has anyone modify one of these spacers to work on a Y-Block I see what hiball3985 says about how the spacer will sit on the Y block and the vacuum leak. Not sure if I drill a hole directly onto intake manifold the engine would run rough.