News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Control arms

Started by campy38, 2023-11-15 08:25

Previous topic - Next topic

campy38

I am looking control arms preferably both sides. But at least an upper and lower driver side. See photo🤦�♂️ (driver side) big notch and possibly bent needing over an inch of spacers...

Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)
"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?"

ragtop

check the plate that is rived to frame I had one that was bent had to replace it

RICH MUISE

Looks like they did some clearance cutting. Took me a while to find the "big notch" you mentioned. If by 1" spacers, you were referring to the alignment shims, that may be intentional to increase caster (or camber......can't keep those names straight). Is it the same on the other side?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

campy38

Quote from: ragtop on 2023-11-15 18:09check the plate that is rived to frame I had one that was bent had to replace it

Will do! Thanks. any recommendation on where to find one of those?
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

campy38

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-11-15 18:31Looks like they did some clearance cutting. Took me a while to find the "big notch" you mentioned. If by 1" spacers, you were referring to the alignment shims, that may be intentional to increase caster (or camber......can't keep those names straight). Is it the same on the other side?

No it's not. Only 2 spacers other side. It's my fathers old car. He said it had front end issue may have bent front end he doesn't know. Happened during a transport on a uhaul... He took it to a "front end guy" and he doesn't know what all he did but he fixed it. Said it drove fine after. I just didn't know if this was proper/safe. Also didn't know if the notch was safe. So was just going to replace it.
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

incahoots

Check the (for sale) section, I've got a pair of uppers listed for sale with new bushings, powder coated, new ball joints.
Also I probably have an old set of useable lowers if you need them.

hiball3985

It looks like the front of the mounting plate is bent, thats why the extra shims were required. Not easy to replace but you could possibly bend/hammer it back into shape.
IMG_9487.jpeg_thumb.png
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

campy38

Quote from: incahoots on 2023-11-15 21:31Check the (for sale) section, I've got a pair of uppers listed for sale with new bushings, powder coated, new ball joints.
Also I probably have an old set of useable lowers if you need them.

I sent you a pm. Thanks!
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

campy38

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2023-11-16 06:40It looks like the front of the mounting plate is bent, thats why the extra shims were required. Not easy to replace but you could possibly bend/hammer it back into shape.
IMG_9487.jpeg_thumb.png

That may be the first thing I try after I get some new control arms. I'm curious if the arm is bent as well and making it worse. Can't hurt to replace them. Going to be doing brakes as well so might as well get it all done while I'm there.
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

Tom S

I think Jim is right about the front of the mounting plate being bent. Could probably be straightened up with a big hammer & maybe some big heat. That might be a lot easier & simpler than to try to replace it properly in the correct location. That notch in the lower arm could be repaired a patch welded into it.
I really gotta wonder what the purpose of that chain that's welded to the lower A-arm & the frame was supposed to be. Looks to me like it was just there to rattle around, make noise & wear a hole in what I assume to be a fuel line. It's just weird.

ragtop

Lower was cut for exhaust to drop down if putting older chevy in it with ram horn manifolds motor plates also cut off frame

mustang6984

UGH! Putting a Chevy in a 57 Ford should be a felony!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

campy38

Quote from: Tom S on 2023-11-16 18:25I think Jim is right about the front of the mounting plate being bent. Could probably be straightened up with a big hammer & maybe some big heat. That might be a lot easier & simpler than to try to replace it properly in the correct location. That notch in the lower arm could be repaired a patch welded into it.
I really gotta wonder what the purpose of that chain that's welded to the lower A-arm & the frame was supposed to be. Looks to me like it was just there to rattle around, make noise & wear a hole in what I assume to be a fuel line. It's just weird.

I believe you guys are correct after taking a better look at it. We may give the hammer and heat a try!

I was told the chain was attached to the motor at one point. 460 swap that used to be raced out in California before my dad owned it in the 80s. It will be removed.
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)

campy38

Quote from: ragtop on 2023-11-16 21:45Lower was cut for exhaust to drop down if putting older chevy in it with ram horn manifolds motor plates also cut off frame

I was told it was cut to clear the old headers from the 460 it's got. It had stock headers on the 469 that cleared fine when I got it. But I am in process of having 460 built and am going to have to experiment some on clearance of new aftermarket headers
Max-
57 Fairlane (flamin mo)