News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane Driver's Side Door Latch

Started by chapingo17, 2023-11-21 15:11

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

Sorry, I'm back I was out of town for the holidays. I inspected my door latch and found there's a lot of play side to side on the start. I'm guessing the springs are worn out?  Would there be any way fix this issue?

Tom S

chapingo17

Thanks. Would any one know how to remove link arm clips that attach to the door latch?

oldave57

From the 1957 Ford shop manual, the attached photo shows the clips being removed by rotating them away from the rod which then allows the rod to be pulled out of the hole in the door lock lever.

chapingo17

chapingo17

Received door latch and installed.Thanks again it worked beautifully, door feels like new. Not sure if I could rebuilt the one I have. I believe that mine has a bad star bearing and mechanism that releases door from opening and closing (worn out to much play). Not sure if it make any sense.

cokefirst

Quote from: chapingo17 on 2023-12-27 17:17Received door latch and installed.Thanks again it worked beautifully, door feels like new. Not sure if I could rebuilt the one I have. I believe that mine has a bad star bearing and mechanism that releases door from opening and closing (worn out to much play). Not sure if it make any sense.

Whatever you do, DON'T TOSS IT.  The Thunderbird parts places that sell parts for the 55-57 Thunderbirds sell rebuilt units for those models. I am sure whoever is doing it for them can rebuild the passenger cars ones too.  I scored two new door latch mechanisms for my 57 Skyliner and I am going to get my old ones rebuilt.  I may need them later or I may find someone that needs them and will sell them.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

mustang6984

Quote from: cokefirst on 2023-12-28 18:15Whatever you do, DON'T TOSS IT.  The Thunderbird parts places that sell parts for the 55-57 Thunderbirds sell rebuilt units for those models. I am sure whoever is doing it for them can rebuild the passenger cars ones too.  I scored two new door latch mechanisms for my 57 Skyliner and I am going to get my old ones rebuilt.  I may need them later or I may find someone that needs them and will sell them.

Good info to keep on file for the future! Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Tom S

Quote from: cokefirst on 2023-12-28 18:15...I am going to get my old ones rebuilt.  I may need them later or I may find someone that needs them and will sell them.
I still need one for my Ranchero's driver side door!

RICH MUISE

Let us know about getting them rebuilt when you know for sure.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-12-28 23:30Let us know about getting them rebuilt when you know for sure.
+1

chapingo17

Ok if some one needs one let me know. I will need to be rebuild.

Tom S

Quote from: chapingo17 on 2023-12-29 12:05Ok if some one needs one let me know. I will need to be rebuild.
Post #24 >> "I still need one for my Ranchero's driver side door!"

thomasso

Tom;  I'm away for the winter but if you don't find one before June I'll rebuild it for you for free.  Contact me in late May.  Tom
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.