News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane Driver's Side Door Latch

Started by chapingo17, 2023-11-21 15:11

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I have a really worn out door latch, my door is really loose while driving. Compared with passenger side I could tell there is something loose or worn out. Are these door latches repairable? I have never taken one part? 

RICH MUISE

Unfortunately, they are not reproduced that I'm aware of, nor is anyone rebuilding them. It took me 4 years to find a NOS driver's side, and that was 10+ years ago. At that, I ended up modifying a Mercury latch. (Passenger side was easy find). most wear comes from the shaft on the starwheel wearing the hole in the protective shield. This is easily viewed, you'll probably see a now-oversized hole.
One other thing to check first............the safety new design of the '57 latch makes the starwheel actually catch on TWO teeth on the door jamb's latch plate. This is verified by closing the door easily to feel if it's just catching the first tooth. This is wheen the door is 1/2" or so from being flush, but still won't let loose without pushing the button. If it does that, and will close " flush" with a harder close, then it's catching on both.
If the hole in the starwheel's shield doesn't appear to be worn too badly, then you may have another issue. Behind the starwheel (still outside the door frame) is a bearing. That bearing rides up on the guide plate that is on the latch plate in front of the two teeth. The starwheel bearing is suppose to actually cause the door to lift about 1/16-1/8 when it latches. That keeps some of the weight of the door being lifted and preventing rattling.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chapingo17

Thank you Rich I will check it when I'm back home.

57chero

I may have a good used one, Ill check in the next couple of days, I remember when I was parting 57s out that the rear door latches on a 4dr were the same they just had a bracket that comes off and they usally were way better shape because of less use.

chapingo17

Thank you that would be great to have. How much would you want for it?

57chero

i will see if I have one first and the condition.

57chero

So, I have a nice one its tight and the springs are good with no gouges or chipped teeth.

$22 includes shipping

thomasso

I disassembled mine by grinding the rivets and built up the star wheel with wire feed.  ground and filed to original shape. Also Welded up holes and resized.  Welded back together. This was 6 yrs ago at least, works fine.  New strikers are readibly available.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

thomasso

I remembered I posted on the rebuild way back 9/14/2016.  Titled, Rebuilding door lock assemblies. With pictures.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

1930artdeco

If the star wheel only catches on 2 teeth, then can you rotate the star wheel so it catches on other teeth? Mine will rotate by hand.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

RICH MUISE

We were refering to the two teeth on the catch plate, not the starwheel.

Tom S

Quote from: 57chero on 2023-11-21 20:01I may have a good used one, Ill check in the next couple of days, I remember when I was parting 57s out that the rear door latches on a 4dr were the same they just had a bracket that comes off and they usally were way better shape because of less use.
If he doesn't take it I sure will!

57chero

I don't understand when you post something that somebody needs you never hear from them again, it's happened a few times on here. So, if (chipingo17) doesn't want it, it's up for grabs.

RICH MUISE

Eric did say he wasn't home when he posted the inquiry......maybe out of town for Thanksgiving.

Tom S

Quote from: 57chero on 2023-11-25 13:02I don't understand when you post something that somebody needs you never hear from them again, it's happened a few times on here. So, if (chipingo17) doesn't want it, it's up for grabs.
Please keep me in mind for that door latch. The chance of finding parts for old cars anywhere up here is next to zero. There are no old cars whatsoever in the few wrecking yards here. I have seen photos of huge wrecking yards full of old cars that you guys in the lower 48 states are so much closer to. Ones that some of you may even be able to drive to in a fairly short time.
Then there is outrageously high cost of shipping. Down there you might be able to get something like a bumper or another fairly large part shipped to you for a fairly reasonable price by UPS or FedEx. That can not happen here. I don't dare think about ordering something like that due to the price that UPS charges for shipping. In fact if I want to order anything from a business down south I will not do so unless they can send it via the USPS. Shipping prices from UPS are two & sometimes even three times the cost of the same item being shipped/mailed via the US Post office.