News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

63A windshield

Started by David70A, 2023-12-16 16:27

Previous topic - Next topic

David70A

Hello all-

The windshield on my Fairlane 500 project is pretty delaminated and should probably be replaced. I've been surprised that it's seeming fairly hard to find a basic non-tinted windshield. Auto City Classic and others out of stock with no restock timeframe.  Any of you have any go-to places?

Thanks for any help, and best wishes to all on the forum for happiness and health during the holidays and beyond. A lot of helpful and smart people in this group!

David

RICH MUISE

For most of us, the "go to" place was Auto City Classic. Just for your info, a green-tinted windshield has very little tint, to the point where my car has the gray smoked back and side windows, but a green-tinted windshield that NOBODY has ever noticed.
You're probably wondering why I went that way. I had ordered a gray tint windshield to be delivered at the Pate swap meet. They packed up a green tint windshield, by mistake I assume. After looking at it, I decided there was so little tint to it that probably no one would notice (including me after installation, lol), so I brought it home. If and when I ever replace it (it's got tons of tiny pits, and some not so tiny rock chips), I'll just order a green tint again.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

David70A

Rich, thanks so much and that was going to be my next question. The generic pictures on the Auto City Classic website make the tints look like something you'd see on cars in a bad 70's detective show, and I was hoping they are not representative. They do have tinted in stock and I'll probably see if they will be at spring Carlisle. Looks like they haven't posted the 2024 events they'll be at as of yet.

59meteor

I also have a windshield from Auto City Classic in my 59 2 door sedan, that has the green tint along the top. I don`t mind the tint, but if it bothers you, I wonder if there is any way to remove the tint? I can say that a new windshield has always made an amazing difference in the vision , sometimes you don`t realize how age and tiny chips in the glass can effect how clear the windshield is. I tried all the local independent and big name franchised auto glass dealers in my area, and none of them had a listing, or could find any source for the windshield I needed, luckily Auto City had them, and quite reasonably priced to boot. My old windshield had no cracks or chips, but had the deep scratches on the rounded edges from the wiper blades, that seems so common on old cars with wraparound windshields.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

David70A

Auto City really does seem to be the place. And the green not over-the-top tint is growing on me in view of this discussion, especially with a Willow Green car (or I should say one that originally was and will be again)!

oldave57

I replaced my windshield a couple of years ago with the light green tint and I would second Rich's observation that the tint is so light that it is hardly noticeable.  The attached photo shows the windshield with a lake background so you can see that the tint is very light and not at all objectionable.

I would also recommend Auto City Classics.  Their packaging was great and provided exceptional protection for the windshield.

Good Luck,
Dave

abe_lugo

Are you asking between all the glass being very light green or the windshield having the blue tint across the top?   
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

David70A

Dave, thanks for posting the photo, which conveys really well how minimal the tint is. Abe, it is the full tint rather than the top band that I was thinking of. I'll go with the green and happy to post whether Auto City will be at spring Carlisle once I find out. My recollection is that they usually are.

Strange Vermont December 18th with 57 degrees forecast along with heavy rain. May actually get out in the garage and play with the Fairlane a bit.

RICH MUISE

Green all over. Would not have gotten it if it had the dark stripe across the top. Even in late-model cars with windshields far wider than ours, I hate 'em. My wife's cousin that lives with us has a CRV with that stripe. I drive it once a month just to keep the juices flowing, and it's very annoying.

RICH MUISE

:burnout:
@ Wichita Mountains Wildlife Preserve in Ok.

gasman826

I also have the green tint in all the glass which can barely be seen.  The heavy band of tint across the top of the windshield (most glass companies refer it as 'shading' or 'shaded') is very objectionable to me.  I can barely see stop lights through the roof line.  Looking through the shading at night would dangerous.