News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Skyliner Gas Tank

Started by flatbedfred, 2023-12-29 13:30

Previous topic - Next topic

flatbedfred

My 57 Skyliner has a gas tank which stretches across the width of the car. It is fairly deep and not very wide front to back. Also in the middle of the tank width wise, the the bottom rises almost half way up  the depth of the tank. This to clear the driveshaft. I am wondering how the gas gets from one side to the other after the level goes below the arch in the middle of the bottom. When I was working on the sender I noticed that there were two steel tubes on the bottom. I am wondering if one tube is used as a siphon.

abe_lugo

Depending on the side of pick up on.  Maybe just sloshing of hard left and right turns allows most of the gas to move from one side to the other.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

59meteor

I often wondered about that myself. And Abe, for the gas to be able to "slosh" from one side to the other, would likely require some pretty reckless driving, the 2 side chambers are separated by a pretty large wall.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

flatbedfred

So my thinking right now is that there is a tube that is either used as a syphon or there is aan outlet fed by a tube from each side.

Tom S

abe_lugo

I was think I'm g a tube also but didn't see it on the pic you posted.  Or maybe dual pickups for the fuel lines.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Ford Blue blood

The tank has a "T" to pick up fuel from both sides.  Not sure how it acts when the tank is nearly empty?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

flatbedfred

Oh OK , that is really interesting. Thanks for that information.