Question regarding Front Sheet Metal / Hood Hinges Assembly

Started by KYBlueOval, 2023-12-31 13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

CORRECTION!!!!!........Lynn was correct. Sorry, Lynn. There are Two pieces that go between the core support and under the hinge bracket. The inner fender is as you have it, John, but additionally the splash panel that goes behind the grille/parking light (under headlight) also goes in there under the hinge flange. I tried a dozen times to get a good pic, but unable to get a clear one.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Lynn and Rich......I understand what you are describing. I'll go take a look. I have those "pans", but had not attempted to install them.

So, I think the correct sequence would have to be, core support, inner fender, splash pan, and then the hinge.

Walked out to the garage and yes, I see exactly what you are describing.
Thanks to both of you!
John

mustang6984

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2024-01-04 05:19Hugh, what I really was wanting to see was the mounting location of the hinges with the core support and the inner fender.........All together. I can see two ways to assemble these pieces.
1) Hinges in front of the inner fender, which is in front of the core support.
  I believe this is the correct way. OR
2) Hinges in front of core support, with inner fender in front of the hinge.

Using #1, the hinge is not perfectly flat to the core support, because one side of the hinge is on top of the inner fender piece that comes around to the front of the core support. My very limited experience tells me.... minor difference at the front become larger difference at the cowl, when aligning the hood.
Using #2, could be done this way, but it just does not look like the right way to do it. IF you had to remove the hinge, you have to fight the inner fender to remove the hinge.
I'm going to follow number 1, until someone tells me I'm wrong.
I welcome any and all advice on getting the front end sheet metal installed with acceptable gaps.
Thanks
John

This help?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

KYBlueOval

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2024-01-04 20:02This help?

Hugh, Thanks for the photos.........Right Church.....Wrong Pew. The area we are discussing is below the area your photos show.
The photos I originally posted are the area we are discussing. Where the core support,inner fender,splash pan,(behind the parking light),and the hinge all bolt together, and the correct assembly sequence.
I'll get a splash pan bolted up today and post a photo. I now understand how these pieces should be assembled.........I think!
Thanks to all that have contributed, it's what makes this such a great site, and I do appreciate it.
John

RICH MUISE

Quote from: gasman826 on 2024-01-04 22:15Pictures always make me feel better!!
That's why Playboy was so successful!

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2024-01-05 08:56That's why Playboy was so successful!
Not only that it taught young men how to read.....one handed......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

glr7533

Here are a couple of pictures from my car before it was taken apart.
Jerry

KYBlueOval

Quote from: glr7533 on 2024-01-06 10:00Here are a couple of pictures from my car before it was taken apart.
Jerry
Thank you Jerry..........Your two photos indicate to me that the splash pan mounts under the hinge. I come to that conclusion after enlarging the photos.
The first photo shows the driver side; when you enlarge the photo you can clearly see the impression the bolt made on the hinge sheet metal, which tells me the splash pan was installed in front of the inner fender and behind the hinge.
Enlarge the second photo of the passenger side, and you can see where the bolt
head was up against the hinge, which again tells me the splash pan must have been installed behind the hinge, which in turn makes it in front of the inner fender.
What do y'all think........Does that seem logical?
John

RICH MUISE

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE