News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Front Anti Sway Bar Removal

Started by flatbedfred, 2024-01-01 14:24

Previous topic - Next topic

flatbedfred

I will be removing the pan in a few weeks. Reading the manual it says to remove the front sway bar. It also says to put the weight on the front wheels while doing this. Is that really necessary or can it be removed with the wheels suspended with jack stands under the frame. I have the wheels presently off the car and it would be more convenient to leave them that way while working on the motor.

thomasso

You can probably pry it off but you will never get it back on.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

gasman826

I always R&R my ADDCO sway bar with the suspension hanging.  I use safety jack posts both installing and removing.

59meteor

Doesn`t the ADDCO sway bar use end links? If so, totally different design than a factory 57 bar, which is mounted with 4 rubber bushings clamped to the lower control arms. As mentioned, it may be possible to remove the bar with the wheels hanging, but may damage the mounting clamps, plus will never be able to reinstall it that way.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

flatbedfred

OK thankyou for sharing your experience. I see I will have to install the front wheels and let them rest on ramps so the front springs are loaded.

RICH MUISE

As mentioned many times in the past, a HD sway bar is going to give you the most bang for the buck than just about anything else you can do.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

thomasso

ADDCO stay bars are definitely much better than original.  However not for us purists. The 1" replacement type from Jeggs is an improvement over stock 7/8 bar.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

flatbedfred

If there is one part of the design of my 57 that I would like to change, it is definitely the sway bar. I think it is very inadequate. Eventually I will change it. So I would ask, which is the best one to use?

59meteor

If you really wanted to avoid putting the front tires on, you may be able to put a floor jack under each control arm and raise them enough to unbolt the sway bar, but the front of the car may lift up before you get it high enough, especially if all the weight is not in the car.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

Which aftermarket front swaybar.......Gasman (Gary) and others have used the ADDCO bars. Not sure where they get them. Most of us here have used the bars from Thunderbirds Southwest, also available at Concorse. Results are probably very similar, but I believe the design and mounting differ from each other.
I believe both suppliers I mentioned are on our list of vendors.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

flatbedfred

Thank you for all the advice and input. 

Ford Blue blood

The sway bar on my 58 Edsel Pacer was a perfect fit on the Ranchero.  I suspect that setup would be the same for 58 - 64 Fords?  There were even holes in the lower control arm for the links.  I did have to weld the brackets to the frame.  The rubber for the frame mount and it's U shaped fastener were stock 58 Edsel.  Just made a couple of plates to weld up.

https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6035.120  post 128 on that page.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II