Seeking advice on a stand alone controller for a 4R70W Transmission

Started by KYBlueOval, 2024-01-19 16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Soon, I'm going to need to purchase a stand alone controller for the 4R70W transmission in my Ranchero. Those of you on the Forum that have this transmission........What stand alone controller have you used, and do you recommend it?  PROS and CONS?
Thanks,
John

lalessi1

I don't have experience with this specifically but I am happy with the Holley EFI stuff I am using. They do offer a stand alone controller for the 4R70W transmission on carbureted applications... I have a Terminator X ECU and I could have added the auto transmission control function when I originally purchased it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sne-551-102
Lynn

KYBlueOval

RICH MUISE

I checked to see if Ron Francis had one, and couldn't see one listed, but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call as they do deal with that transmission on their MK series harnesses (like mine). John, I forgot what engine you're planning for that Ranchero.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Rich,the engine is a 351Windsor.
Thanks for the tip on Ron Francis.
John

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

KYBlueOval

Just the transmission.........And I have been looking at the US Shift site and spoke with them on Friday. I liked what I heard, and really liked the 10 year warranty.The system I inquired about is their  "Quick 2". I believe it will do what I want / need. My car, is a street car, not a racer, and the price is doable. What do you think.....Do I need a "better" controller? They have many.
Do you know anything about them? Pros or Cons?
Thanks KULTULZ, I do appreciate your input.
John

KULTULZ

BAUMANN was the go to back when all of this AOD/AODE retrofit was first coming online.

I never really got into resto-modding but at the time retrofit was popular for HP FOX BODY MUSTANG.

This part of the hobby has gotten well past my personal interests.

It was just a suggestion. You do with your car as you see fit. And GOOD LUCK with it.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KYBlueOval

Thanks again for your reply. And Yes, my car will be assembled the way I want it. Having said that, I have great respect for the knowledge that this Forum members have, and their willingness to share it.......like you have done on numerous occasions.
I like gathering information from those that have traveled the same road previously, which allows me to make an informed decision......hopefully the correct one.
Thanks
John

KULTULZ

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2024-01-22 04:50I like gathering information from those that have traveled the same road previously, which allows me to make an informed decision......hopefully the correct one.

Thanks
John

It's all live and learn brother. Some tech advice is good and some ain't. As long as you can differentiate the two you are well ahead of the game.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

gasman826

I'm no more help than everyone else.  But.....The AOD I built was (and is still going strong in New Zealand) a great transmission.  However, that was then and this is now.  I would not build another AOD.  The 4R70 is a much better transmission right out of the donor vehicle.  Aftermarket controllers are expensive but far cheaper than upgrading an AOD to be as good as a 4R70 with controller.  When I did the AOD, there were only a few offerings with little feedback.  I have no user experience.  I would read blogs but take the blog cowboys' feedback with a grain of salt.  I would really hit the performance transmission builder sites for recommendations.  I bought many AOD upgrades from LENTECH.  This guy has been building and racing Ford overdrive automatics since 1980 and offered many options and super after-sale support.  There are others closer (he's in Canada).  Make sure the controller you choose has a harness W/CONNECTORS.  You will need adjustability and to know how to adjust.  Another important question, can tech support remote tune via internet if you have issues.  Believe me you don't want issues and then feel like the Lone Ranger.  I'm excited to see how it comes out.  I wish I could put one together!  Take care, Gary

KYBlueOval

Thanks Gary........I hoping you would weigh in on this post, and I appreciate your input.
John