News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero Windshield & Backglass Gasket Source?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2024-02-25 12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'm going to need both of these gaskets and in doing internet searching, I find Concours (I assume it is a Dennis Carpenter piece) and Steele Rubber Products have both gaskets.
There is a considerable difference in price...........Steele is about double the price of the Councours gaskets. Is there a discernible difference between the gaskets offered by Steele?
I'll buy the Steele gaskets if there is something about them that makes them worth double the Concours price.
What is the difference between these gaskets besides the price? If ANY!
Thanks
John

gasman826

I have Steele in mine but no other experience.  I've heard all kinds of stories about the difference but I have never done any research to document the differences.  If I were to shop for gaskets today, I would still go to Steele first.

KYBlueOval

abe_lugo

I used the Dennis carpenter on the front for the wagon.  It should be the same for the Ranchero.
It's either them or rubber the right way for the rear as well.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Ford Blue blood

John I used Carpenter on both the Ranchero and the Edsel.  They were perfect in both cases.  I have not used Steel except long ago when putting the 36 on the road.  Then it was the only source for that model.  They have held up well (windshield/rear window and vent window) over the years.  The vent window seals have now lost a bunch of elasticity (installed in 1979) as have the front and rear window seals.

I would say that Carpenter is good.  The Edsel needed the windshield replaced after a stone incident on the road.  The windshield seal had been in the car for a little over two years.  I was able to push the old glass out without tearing the seal.  I found the seal to be very flexible and soft, it took the stainless with as much of a PITA as when new.  After the new glass was in there were no water leaks.

Now having said all that, I recommend Carpenter.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

My only experience has been with Carpenter as well, for everything rubber. No issues with any of it after 6-10 years or so, depending on when during the build it was installed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Yesterday, I spent some time making phone calls to various vendors regarding the windshield and rear glass gaskets. Here is what I found.
Concours : They sell both gaskets but do not stock them. They were not certain if both were made to accept the stainless trim. And having no inventory, they could not inspect them. They source them from Dennis Carpenter.
Steele: They stocked both. I was told that the windshield gasket was made to accommodate the stainless trim, but the rear glass was NOT made to accommodate the trim.I pressed her (Toni) about the rear window gasket and she was ADAMANT that it has no such provision. She based her position on the fact that the written description made no mention of the necessary groove in the rear glass gasket, but did for the windshield gasket. I then asked about their pricing......it is about double vs. their competitors. She told me that if you had an issue years down the road they would stand behind the product, thus the higher pricing. I then asked if Steele made these gaskets or bought them. She told me they bought them.
Dennis Carpenter: Spoke with a fella named Tom. They had both gaskets, and yes the windshield gasket had the groove, but he did not know about the rear window gasket having it. He took my name and phone number and will call with the answer. I asked Tom, if DC sold these gaskets to Steele Rubber Products and he said YES they did.
When I get the call from Tom, I'll post his response. Stay Tuned
John 

KYBlueOval

About 5 minutes ago I received a call from Tom, at Dennis Carpenter.
He stated the the Ranchero rear glass gasket DOES HAVE the groove for the stainless trim.
He went on to say they will now change their website and printed descriptions to mention that it has the groove.
John

RICH MUISE

Did ALL Rancheros have the ss trim around the back glass? If so, one could pretty much assume what DC's answer will be. Are there any other options anyway?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Thanks for the extra effort to do the research!

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2024-02-27 07:58Did ALL Rancheros have the ss trim around the back glass? If so, one could pretty much assume what DC's answer will be. Are there any other options anyway?
Rich, I can't answer your question about all Rancheros having the trim. I don't know.I was taught that "You get what you inspect.......Not what you expect" and it has served me well.
John