News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1 wirre or 3 wire alternator

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2024-02-28 16:41

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi all,  this may have been brought up before,  which one is the easiest, cheapest or best to install?,  a 1 wire or 3 wire alternator,  thanks

gasman826

Two wire!  3G alternators have one wire to the battery side of the starter relay and one wire to the dash light.  3G alternators are internally regulated so the OEM regulator is bypassed.

59meteor

Easiest may be the 1 wire, but for best, I much prefer the later 3G, like I swapped into my 59, with a 428. It fits nicely with the factory FE alternator brackets, is pretty easy to wire up, and unlike the "1 wire", the factory "Gen" light in the dash functions like original. Plus you do not need to rev up the engine to get the 1 wire to "kick in" and start charging. Not to mention most 1 wires are GM alternators, and I just refuse to put GM parts in or on my Fords.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

geraldchainsaw

ok Gasman,   is ther a prferrd brand or make alternator you like?,   jerry

mustang6984

Quote from: 59meteor on 2024-02-28 21:00Not to mention most 1 wires are GM alternators, and I just refuse to put GM parts in or on my Fords.

Makes two of us. If I want bow-tie junk...I'll buy it, not pollute my Ford!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

3G is model/style/design of a FoMoCo designed OEM alternator.  Several manufacturers offer 3G style alternators.  They are readily available at wrecking yards as well as local parts stores.  I get mine from Powermaster for larger amp outputs, quality, service and old-time US company.

Ford Blue blood

2G from a 87 Aerostar 3.0 75 - 80 amp
3G from a 94 Mustang 5.0 130 amp

Both are the same configuration as the 1G.  The 2G is the same physical size as the 1G.  It has a bad reputation for the wiring catching on fire.  That was do to the "Ford's Better Idea" wiring.  Aftermarket plugs have fixed that issue.  I have a 2G in the 36, been there a long time with no issues.  I did use a 3G in the Ranchero.  As stated all you need to make it work is a wire through a light bulb to 12V run.  Of course the output to the battery at the solenoid or starter.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

ok,   1 last question,   ;is it a shoe in, or is a special bracket needed,   an thanks for all the info guys

Ford Blue blood

The 2G will "bolt in" as it is physically the same size a 1G.  The 3G will require some spacer changes as it is large then the 1G.  Both of those I listed are mounted like the 1G and the housing can be clocked like the 1G to get a more favorable wire location.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

59meteor

When I swapped from the original generator, to a 3G alternator in my 59, I used factory alternator brackets from an alternator equipped FE vehicle, and I didn`t need to modify the brackets at all. Although I have the factory FE alternator brackets for both hi mount and low mount, I went with the high mount, for ease of access. Besides the wiring, all that I had to do was swap out the serpentine belt style pulley for a factory V belt pulley, (in my case, a factory 428 Cobra Jet dual groove pulley), and because the adjusting hole is not threaded like the older 1Gs, I used a longer bolt and nut. Keep in mind, my 428 block is equipped with the threaded boss for the alternator mounting bolt, which the earlier FE blocks were lacking.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

geraldchainsaw

ok,  to   Gasman,   having a hard time fnding a altenator,  have ;a number,  or numbers I can look up,  thanks                 

an to 59 meteor,   is  your upper mountng bracklet available?,  ifso,  who makes it ,   thanks again

I've been looking,  checking for 2or3 days,  starting  to get confusing

59meteor

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2024-03-03 09:12ok,  to   Gasman,   having a hard time fnding a altenator,  have ;a number,  or numbers I can look up,  thanks                 

an to 59 meteor,   is  your upper mountng bracklet available?,  ifso,  who makes it ,   thanks again

I just used the common factory FE upper alternator bracket, which was pretty much the same from the mid 60s thru 1976. Cars and trucks.

I've been looking,  checking for 2or3 days,  starting  to get confusing

gasman826

PowerMaster has several options and it can be confusing.  If I remember correctly, your '57 is still running the Y-Block.  Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any alternator that is a direct replacement for a Y-Block generator using the OEM generator bracket.  It has been awhile since I converted my '57 292 from generator to alternator but I am sure I had to get creative and modify the OEM bracket if not completely fabricating another bracket.  I'm pretty sure I also changed the adjustment strap.  I searched the internet to see if there is an aftermarket bracket for Ford style alternator frames (there are brackets for 1-wire GM style frame, but I think they are too expensive).  If I were to do it again, I would get the alternator and modify or make the bracket.  As I remember, it wasn't a big job but the bracket needs to move toward the radiator.  Once you make/modify the bracket, most Ford style alternator frames will fit with maybe a shim or two.  PowerMaster offers a 3G style, Ford style frame, 140 amp (bigger than you will ever need!), w/'V' groove pulley, internally regulated, and includes the pigtail to hookup to the '57 dash light (PowerMaster number 47757).  Due to the much larger amperage capability, you will need a much larger (maybe #6) wire to the battery (large post alternator to battery side of the starter relay).  As the dash light wire, I used the one of the OEM generator wires in the harness under the core support over to the OEM regulator.  I connected the gen to regulator wire to the dash light wire so the 3G internal regulator would be controlled by the original '57 dash light.  The original feed from the regulator to the headlight switch (all interior power comes from the headlight switch) will bypass the OEM regulator and be connected to the alternator large post and/or to the post on the battery side of the starter relay.  I did check and I don't have one single picture of the Y-Block!

geraldchainsaw

thanks  for the info,  kinda thought I would have to improvise,  this will take some time,  let you now how I make out

I found the altenator,  but  it has a 6 grove pulley,  Ill have to get in touch with speedway,  see if they'll change to a v pulley,, & theres  only 1 left,so I'll have to make mind up fast

mustang6984

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember there was a company that was making alternators inside of generator housings so one could have the stock look, yet the dependability of an alternator.
Do  not remember the company name any longer...but maybe someone else knows of them?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker