News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

58 Ford steering box install

Started by chero69gt, 2024-03-15 16:15

Previous topic - Next topic

chero69gt

Ive recently come across a 1958 steering box and column that I want to put into my 57 Custom.
I have read several posts about this, but havent found a complete review of the process to install
this gear. first, can the 58 turn signal switch be used to in my 57 car and therefore be used to hook up
the horn?
Also, will the 57 steering wheel fit the 58 column?

Thanks for the help and advice.
                                                 Roger

Ford Blue blood

Roger the horn wire is the biggest issue.  57 the wire went down the center of the shaft, 58 it is outside the housing.  I believe that prevents the switches from being changed, not sure, maybe some else can chime in with that.  Outside of that it is a "bolt-in" deal.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I have not seen a '58 turn signal switch but I used a '59 in my car. Here is a link to a past post

https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5456.msg42360#msg42360

The links to eBay are no longer available. The 59 switch is below, It fits the 57 column by drilling an extra hole. it is being re-popped, I got that pic off of eBay

I used a '59 wheel there is an internal contact "button" see the pic also below (fourth picture)

The second picture as poor as it is shows a '57 cancelling cam, a '59 cancelling cam, and the contact button bushing. Then there is a '57 wheel.

The Edsel wheel differs from '57 the in that it has an extra hole in the upper right hand corner for the contact button bushing (same as the '59 wheel). The contact button slips in the bushing and connects the horn ring with the turn signal contact ring. If that is as clear as mud ask  and I will try to clarify...

The '59 wheel is out of the car now I have an aftermarket one n it now so I can maybe take better pictures

I bought what I thought was a '58 turn signal contact plate but I don't see how it would work with a '57 switch???
Lynn

chero69gt

Thank you, I appreciate your help,
                                    Roger