News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

bleeding brakes

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2024-04-15 18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi all,    I know when installing new brake shoes & whl  cylinders,  they have to be bleed,  ok,  now  my question,  thinking of going with disk brakes,  from pass experience I rremember all I had to do was  change pads,   maybe disk,  install pads an hit the brake peddle would fill rotor  with brake fluid,  & watch MC of course,  is that right or wrong?,  sorry getting old & I'm forgetting LOTS

terry_208

The calipers, if new, will be full of air.  If removing and replacing drum brakes, opening the sealed system will introduce air to it.  In both cases the air needs to be removed to give a good pedal. 

Terry

thomasso

It is usually sufficient to bleed disc brakes by simply opening the bleed screw until fluid runs out.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ford Blue blood

I have used mean ol mr gravity on numerous builds with great success!  He does a great job with both drum and disc.  When working alone sometimes you must employ infrequent visitors to help.....:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

ok,  question,  when  using the gravity system,  how long does it take for  the whl cylinder to fill?,  quick, 5 min,  10 min what?,  fast  enough that you have to stay there?,      an if your gong with disks,  you start in the front,  an drums,  back?   right,?,   thanks    jerry

Ford Blue blood

Jerry, First I pump the master to get fluid out and moving.  Then I open all the bleed screws at once.  The ones closest to the master start to show fluid first.  Generally it takes about 30 -40 minutes for the rears to show fluid.  Only problem is there is no way to catch the fluid like you can with a helper operating the pedal.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

ok,  an I take it when fluid shows  you close  it,     thanks again for the info  guys,  being  old  an I'm  still  learning