News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Underdash AC unit restoration

Started by 1930artdeco, 2024-06-06 11:27

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Has anyone had their underdash AC unit restored and if so by whom? I have 1965 unit that needs work, I found a company 'Original Air' says they restore them. Just looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

abe_lugo

Please take pics of this.  I'm considering ac on a couple of mine. 
I missed out on a complete 57 hidden setup a year or two ago.

Also post about what is needed on your yblock for this pulleys and brackets. Very cool if some had already added AC to your wagon at some point.

Looks like Larry's Thunderbird has a big car kit.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

mustang6984

Don't know if they do or not, but Vintage Air in San Antonio TX might be a good place to call. If they do not do the deed, they surely would know someone who does.
Just a thought.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Not really addressing either question in the previous posts, but I've installed Vintage Air Gen IV in two of my '57s.  There is plenty of room under the dash for one of these units.  The defrost is no problem but the cosmetics of the grilles is much harder.  The placement of the largest condenser is very limited.  The Raunch Wagon maintained it's original dash and I modified the OE heater controls to work the HVAC but still look original.  The '57 Custom has a Thunderbird dash updated with Vintage Air but with original 'Bird appearance.  Neither engine is a Y-Block but I think Vintage Air offers Y-Block brackets and pulleys.  No AC system will be very effective without sealing the car up and good insulation (I tried it).  I like and used Lizard Skin on both cars.  Lizard Skin is cheaper, lighter, easier to install and quite effective.  I'm setting in a Flint hotel after a very comfortable, three hour ride in humid, 80 degree heat.  We'll be joining the Back to the Bricks Tour tomorrow.

abe_lugo

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2024-06-06 16:13Don't know if they do or not, but Vintage Air in San Antonio TX might be a good place to call. If they do not do the deed, they surely would know someone who does.
Just a thought.
I dont think Vintage air does it, though I check on youtube and there was a guy that seems to do the mustang units.
The thing I did notice is there is one of these new brands makes a unit that remove the heater and intergrates it into the lower unit all in one.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

mustang6984

I'm going to be needing someone to do the one in my Fairlane in such a fashion as it looks all original, but is modern. I'll have to check around.
Gonna be awhile though.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Whenever I see a '60s, under-dash, dealer installed unit in a auction or garage sale, I buy it and pass it on to one of my friends for their upgrade.  12v to the wires tells if the switch and blower work.  They polish and charge them up with R134. Not Concours but looks period correct and works.

KYBlueOval