News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Radiator

Started by glenmichael, 2024-06-29 17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Similar to Rich, I also have a gas tank and windshield in my 59, that I bought from Auto City Classic, very happy with everything that I have bought from them. Not sure if the same situation applies to 57 and 58s, but when I first installed my new Auto City aluminum radiator in my 59, I ended up drilling new mounting holes, about 3/4" higher than the holes in the radiator side brackets, as the radiator cap would have hit the hod when closed. The new holes dropped the radiator enough to give adequate clearance. But ike I said, 57 & 58s may not have that issue. And yes, the radiator does have a transmission cooler in the bottom tank, like the original radiator, even though I am not using it, since I have a 4 speed Toploader. But if you only have an electric fan, that could be your issue. I have seen many guys have trouble keeping the engines cool, when using aftermarket electric fans.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

glenmichael

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July, getting prepared to install the new radiator. DO you use regular white Teflon tape when installing the fittings into the bottom of the radiator to connect the transmission colling lines?? Not sure how warm it will get... Hello 59meteor, I've not experienced overheating with the electric fan set-up I have, just the radiator I have now is showing 2 spots of green, little leaks. For me a good excuse to upgrade and work on the 57 ... Most importantly to avoid any leakage problem while enjoying the ride.

59meteor

Personally, I prefer the white Teflon thread sealing compound from Permatex, that comes in a plastic container with a brush in the cap, than actual Teflon tape. It is a thick paste, and is easier to work into the threads than Teflon tape, and will not unravel or bunch up.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

glenmichael

Hello everyone, finished the new radiator install. I removed the Hood to make access easier, after I bolted it in, the mounting holes lined up perfect the thing looked to high put the hood on and checked the clearance from bottom of hood to radiator cap with silly putty the hood hit before it would close. I removed the hood and radiator drilled new mounting holes, so the radiator fit 1 inch lower, all I can say is I'm glad I checked before I hooked up the hoses and fluid. So much for direct replacement!!! No leaks and ready for a test drive...

glenmichael

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am not complaining about the reproduction radiator I received as far as not fitting as stock, I put a bunch of fun filled miles on it yesterday mid 80-degree weather the car ran 180 or less and by the way the Wife says sometimes I drive it like I Stole It!!! Nice to drive these old things with confidence and a big smile on your face...

59meteor

Like Rich, I also have a windshield and gas tank in my 59 that I bought from Auto City Classic. Concerning the radiator, I am very happy with my Auto City radiator, but good idea to test fit it before you close the hood. On my 59, the radiator cap was high enough that the hood would hit it, so I drilled 4 new holes in the radiator mounting brackets, about 5/8" above the holes that were in the brackets. That dropped the radiator enough to avoid contact. May not be an issue with a 57 or 58, but always good to check to be safe.