News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Radiator

Started by glenmichael, 2024-06-29 17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, Hope all is well in your 1957 Ford World. So far, I have put some miles on the Custom 300 this summer and have enjoyed each and every one of Them. The radiator may have seen better days, this one was in the car when it became Mine close to 30 years ago, Time sure flies! Anyways I am looking to replace it, not a lot of room, like to find a good replacement, appreciate any thoughts and suggestions, Thanks Glen

abe_lugo

I would first see if it can be cleaned and reused.  Also do an engine clean/flush.  To further clean you would have to pop the freeze plugs and run a wire to clean the silt. 

New radiators might not be as well made as even repots from 20 years ago.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

geraldchainsaw

Glen,  superior rad in Mt Clemens Mi

59meteor

If you aren`t set on having a brass stock type radiator, I have an aluminum radiator that I bought from Auto City Classic in Minnesota in my 59 2 door sedan, with a 428 Cobra Jet engine. It has been in for over 5 years and 7000 miles so far, and I am very happy with it. The radiator top tank looks very close to OE, so if you painted the aluminum rad black, I doubt many people would be able to tell it was not original. I am running a 18" 7 blade flex fan and a 160 thermostat, and the Autometer mechanical temp gauge shows 160-170 degrees while driving. It will climb up to 190-195 if stuck in traffic for a while on a hot day, but drops back down shortly after it gets moving again.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

Ditto what 59Meteor said. My classic auto city (auto city classic? lol)has performed flawlessly in my '57 with 4.6dohc for 7 years and 76K miles. Engine runs too cool if anything, even in these 100* days. Price I'm betting would be less than having an old radiator re-cored, and will cool much better. I've never seen a bad report on them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Aluminium radiators are reasonably priced and available, but here is another vote for the original core. The brass tanks are really beautiful and look more appropriate, especially with an og type engine.
( I totally second Abe as cleaning the water passages in the Y block will really make it run cool (certainly the radiator has to be clean as well). The rear quarter of the Y block core will fill up with silt, sand, rust. between the cylinder walls, and the rear corners. either you need to have a good high pressure washer, but in my case, only removing the plugs and scraping with wires would clean out the debris. My 57 will now run between 160 and 190 all day long, highway, hot weather, climbing hills, downtown traffic. no electric fan, but a re-cored 3 row og type radiator).

ps I see you have a BBF (?) and an oil cooler added. Maybe put the oil cooler below the radiator or in front  under the gravel pan. depends on how low your car is.

glenmichael

Hello everyone, thanks for the response, the motor is a 1983 ford 460 with some modifications, there is 1 inch between the end of the pully and the radiator, a transmission cooler mounted on the lower back side and a 16-inch electric fan set to come on at 180 degrees mounted to the front. I believe the auto city classic aluminum radiator comes with built in cooler attachment for the transmission lines. I'm not too concerned about keeping the car or looks original the frame and most of the body are about all that's left from 1957. The existing radiator has developed two small leaks, still cools the engine just prefer to enjoy driving the car without worrying about a future problem on the road. My main concerns are a radiator that bolts in like stock and doesn't back into the motor. Thanks, I and the custom 300 have enjoyed all the help you all and this site has provided over many years ...

lalessi1

I am Griffin "Exact Fit" aluminum radiator. I moved it forward by 2" by moving the flanges. I also have a 16" "pusher fan" in front of the AC condenser. I am using a 19" clutch fan as well. It is tight but the way the tank top is designed it all worked out well.

https://www.griffinrad.com/exact_fit.php
Lynn

gasman826

The Raunch Wagon was an original Y-Block car with likely the original radiator.  The upper tank had a crack from side to side and was just crispy in general.  I replaced it with a no-name eBay aluminum direct fit radiator.  Worked great and was cheap way out.  When the 292 had too many cracks in it and being replaced with a Windsor engine, I found the new, aluminum radiator was half plugged with Y-Block crap.  I flushed and flushed but wasn't satisfied so I replaced it with a direct bolt, Griffin Radiator.  The Griffin Radiator with really good fans cooled the 550 HP Windsor.  If the OE radiator was doing the job, it is likely that a basic aluminum replacement radiator will do the job.  An expensive Griffin may be over-kill.

glenmichael

Thanks Gary and everyone, after driving the car over to visit Woody (Mechanic/brother-in-law) couple beers later looks like an aluminum radiator replacement is in the custom 300's future. I will investigate (auto city classic) might be a good fit for the money and the way I enjoy the 57. I'll post a picture when there's no leaks.  Hello Rich and 59meteor is the auto city classic radiator your using, product ID R5759B ....

abe_lugo

If you get the auto city one.  There is a warranty card to fill out in the box.  I didn't get to mine in time. But do so as soon as you get it.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

I couldn't tell you what my item # was, but because of some past (present???) confusion with some pictures they had shown with outlets in non-stock positions, have them verify the radiator they are shipping has oulets in the positions you need....(top right, bottom left ?)

glenmichael

Thank You RICH, I will give them a call tomorrow...

glenmichael

Hello everyone, just ordered a radiator through Auto city classic for a 1957-1959 ford passenger car with a v-8 total price for radiator, cap, shipping and no tax will be $292.00 and will take 2- or 3-days delivery but with the 4 of July maybe a little longer just excited to work on the car, could be the excuse to buy the radiator???? Thanks for all the help and suggestions as always, Glen

RICH MUISE

They are also a great source for all, or most, of our glass needs and gas tanks as well. My 10 year old gas tank has zero rust on it!.......and you all know mine is NOT a trailer queen.