News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Engine swap

Started by thomasso, 2024-07-17 13:47

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

I know you guys are the most knowlegeable anywhere.  I am contemplating putting my 292 in my 1955 Willys Aero.  I think the trans bolt pattern on the Willys T86 is the same as Ford. However the Willys uses a long input shaft.  Question is has anyone had experience or has knowledge of weather one could replace the input shaft with a Ford part and what one.  Would like to use the Ford Bell housing and clutch assy.  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

abe_lugo

My advice would be to check what the input shaft length is beyond the bellhousing, and then check what clearance is into the rear of the crank.

Or check a know Y-block  3 speed manual, and see how much the shaft protrudes past the bell again.

if its within .25-.1" you might be able to have a bronze pilot bushing that fills the gap.

I forgot you should also compare the diameter of the T86, vs the orginal 292 one.

If the T85 came out from Ford with a Yblock attached, that might indicate that there might be version of the shaft that could work.

the other things to check is if the fly wheel attaches and the clutch you are going to used lines up with that fly wheel.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008