News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

borgeson PS box with stock eaton pump.

Started by cos, 2024-07-21 16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

cos

Hello  I have search here and other forums for info  about this. One comment was(eaton) does not put out enough pressure. Fords cookbook indicates 700-900 psi is normal. Another comment  said Borgeson requires 1000 psi. Has anyone here tried shimming pressure spring (like can be done YB oil pump) to up pressure some? Probably will try as is, if that doesn't work, try shimming. Really not much  to lose. Any comments? thanks

abe_lugo

There are some ford pumps you can use but the borgeson one uses a canned ham and I believe the canned ham is a style that you can put different valves in.

Also if you do got with the Borgeson. I think they tell you what pump and they have some brackets.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

JRD007

If you need a bracket assembly I have one available for a y-block.
49 shoebox coupe, 390fe 4speed
57 fairlane sunliner, 312 aod
64 fairlane sports coupe, 5.0l f/inj 5 speed
66 f100, 347 stroker aod
67 ranchero, 428cj tri power c6
57 Custom 427 fe, dual 4bbl, 4 speed.

Ford Blue blood

Tried a Ford pump with shims to increase pressure, worked but the pump ran extremely hot.  This was on a 67 Ranchero with a 1999 302.  Burned your fingers with blisters hot.  Also ate up the belt, lots of black powder on the underside of the hood.  Put the ol hamb can pump on and it worked perfect! Did the Borgeson box on a 64 Galaxie, used all their components and it was a bolt in install just short of the column modifications. Worked perfect out of the box.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cos

Thanks for replies. I have brackets and good pump, would like to use stock stuff. Blue blood, Did you check pressure after adding shims? From shimming oil pump on YB I know it very little to raise pressure.  would stock pump without shims work at all with Borgeson box?

lalessi1

I am using a Borgeson kit on my car with a Saginaw pump. I love it. I have a FE though and I am using
CVF brackets with an 8V belt. I am also installing a Hydro-Boost unit on my car (now) and it requires the higher pressure of the Saginaw. I used a rag joint to better isolate the box from the steering wheel. There can be an issue using factory shift linkage because the box is longer and the column and shaft must be shortened. To use a rag joint you need a different steering shaft too.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: cos on 2024-07-22 09:23Thanks for replies. I have brackets and good pump, would like to use stock stuff. Blue blood, Did you check pressure after adding shims? From shimming oil pump on YB I know it very little to raise pressure.  would stock pump without shims work at all with Borgeson box?

We did not.  Been a while since I did that install for my friend.  He is a die hard Ford guy so using the Ford pump was "mandatory".  I had a couple of pumps that were in the scrap pile, pulled one apart, took the shim out of it, put it in, added one more to get the feel right and off he went.  Two days later he found the dust on the hood, the belt close to death and showed me his singed fingers.  He conceded that he would have to go with the ham can pump.

Now after having you wade through that story I have since found that a GM pump from a big block Chevelle with a remote reservoir will do the same job as the ham can and not be so intrusive looking.  Talking with the folks at Borgeson confirmed the flow and pressure were good from that pump to operate the box as designed.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cos

Thanks Blue blood for info.  The original pump (Eaton) Ford used in 57, I took apart to check bushing and bearings. There was no shims on small spring side of plunger valve or one large spring side.