What is the functional difference between these two Cowl Vent Seals?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2024-08-19 14:20

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'm putting together a parts order and I've found two part numbers for two different cowl vent seals.I called Dennis Carpenter,to ask about both and the installation of both........ they were of no help. So I turn to the FORUM.

B7A 7002204-A.  Anti-Squeak Cowl Vent Grille. Eight "U" Shaped Short rubber pieces. How and where are they installed to stop squeaks? Do I need them?

B7A 7002286A Anti-Squeak Cowl Vent Grille. Described as Round.
Catalog picture shows it is long. My guess is that it mounts under the "rib" at the front of the cowl vent. Do I need it?
I think I do, as I can see where the vent could rub against the cowl, and squeak.

The first part number has me baffled. I can't envision what you do with the eight "U" shaped pieces.

Do I need both? How do you install the first part number?
Am I correct about where the second part number is installed?

Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

I have a seal there, but neither of what you listed. Mine is just a long rectangular strip, maybe 3/16 x 1/2. It's from a 30's car, can't remember what it was designed for, but it was a perfect fit under the "step" at the front of the grille.
Just a note: since I had blocked off / welded shut, my cowl vents under the dash, I thought I would also rubberized the screen that goes under the grille. That was a mistake as the heat that was building up inside the cowl from external engine heat had no place to vent, and ended up radiating a lot of heat inside the cabin. I replaced that with an open screen as originally designed. My thought with sealing up the screen was to keep excess water out, but the heat buildup overwhelmingly defeated that idea.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

The eight, short, U-shaped pieces go between the rear edge of the cowl grille and the firewall to keep from rattling and chipping the paint.  The other flat, 40" +/- piece goes between the leading edge of the cowl grille and the firewall.  Clean as mud...I'll look in the Assembly Manual for a picture.  I only figured out where the 8 pieces go after parting out several other '57s.  Since the U-shaped pieces are exposed to the sun, many got hard and fell off.

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the replies.
Gary, I read your reply and went out to look at my Ranchero, and I see what you are describing. Makes sense to me now.
Many thanks, I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.
Thanks,
John

Ford Blue blood

John the long piece is designed to keep fluids from coming up on the windshield should a catastrophic failure occur in the engine bay.  It should "curl up" to seal against the hood when installed properly.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Bill, Thanks for the reply.
In as much as the B7A 7002286A is described as being "Round", I'm not clear on how it will "curl up".

In the Dennis Carpenter catalog there is another rubber part that is described as "Cowell Lacing" B7A-16740 that is shown being installed in approximately the same area, with tacks!
Could that be what you are referring to?
John

Ford Blue blood

John here is the best picture I have of the "front" seal for the cowl vent area.  It is of the Edsel, has a slight "up" curl, (I suspect from being pressed down by the hood), after being in the car for a couple of years.  No idea what the part number is as all my 57 stuff went with the Ranchero to my friend for reference purposes.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Bill, I see what you are talking about. The Concours piece that Concours identifies as going in that cowl location is described as round. I'll call them and find out if it is in fact round or as your picture shows.
Thanks
John