News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

One of our members, rlibew, is in process of installing a 4.6 right now. I've been e-mailing him, and he has lots of pics, but has trouble posting them, and even getting into the threads to do any posting. I suggested he may not be logged in when trying to post Any other suggestions for him? This post is kinda a test..rlibew, are you there?
Rich
P.S. I'm also curious about a member tagged 57dohc...how about logging on and letting us know about your ride....PLEASE. And as long as I'm soliciting people..anybody know what happened to Canadian Ranchero? He hasn't logged on to this site since April. Hope everything is ok with him.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57dohc

He is not the only one having difficulty posting!  I have been following this site trying to get up the motivation to get started on my car after I kinda promised my wife I would stop working on cars.  Somehow, I just can't give this one up!  It a Custom 300 2dr parked since 1963 with a shelled transmission in dry southern Colorado.  The body is amazing; never any repaint/body work nor rust in quarter,rockers or under headlights.  The only rust spots on the exterior body are a small spot in each lower front fender.  Hard to pass up!  I orginally planned on a 428 for this car but ran across a wrecked 2004 Mach 1 5 spd car with only 7000 miles.  In addition to the engine/transmission, I hope to transplant radiator,hydroboost brake system, fuel tank/pump, heating/air,and maybe even the 4 link rear end.
At this point, I have removed the front clip as well as the seized 272 and what was left of the od transmission.  Next step is to remove the drive train on the Mach and see if I can fit it the 57.  I will use the Detail zone harness as the factory wiring looks very complicated.  Computer will need PATS removed.  I do want to be sure the engine fits before I order these things.  I have a rebuilt 312 on a engine stand if I get too frustrated!
I did a 5.0 EFI swap on an early Mustang a few years ago but this one is going to be more involved.! 

gasman826

I think you find it a very enjoyable project.  Super cool.  Hang on to the donor car.  Lots of things will swap over like the dash and steering column.  You will want the master cylinder and booster as well as the pedal assembly and gas pedal and cable.  The rear end might be problematic.  The '57 rear is a narrow 9" that could stand to be a little narrower.  The Mustang rearend is MUCH wider.  Consider swapping the rear disc to the 9".  The Mustang is a front steer car as well is the 4.6 pan.  The '57 steering will need to be severely altered as will be the front brakes.  It might be worth considering a front frame half.

Ford Blue blood

I believe a Lincoln Continental 4.6 has a front sump pan....?  Not sure what year, there was a thread here or the HAMB that had a 4.6 DOHC into a 57, I'll try to find it as I did save some pictures of the swap.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

57dohc...glad you finally made it here..welcome to the site. Did you figure out why you were having posting problems?
I was checking the specs for a 2004 mach1 to make sure it was in fact a 4.6 and not a 5.0 we were talking about..I just couldn't remember when Mustangs went 5.0...but 4.6 it is. Bill is correct on the front sump oil pan, oil pick up, etc. the '95 Linc. continental 4.6 fwd is one car the pan can be had from. I'm not sure why Gary was talking about heavy modifications to brakes and steering...as far as I know there are none, unless posibly if the car is equipt with factory power steering.
The thread Bill mentioned, if you haven't already found it is currently on page 3 of this section. Look for the one with over 10,000 hits! Lots of valuable info there, including components from other vehicles that will make the swap posible. there is also another thread after that one with more info. Both the guys doing the swap on that thread were using Markviii engines and trannys, but alot, if not all, except electronics, should apply.
A basically rust free 300...awesome! where did you find that one? "So. Colorado"...lol you may be closer to me than most of the Texas members! what town are you in/near?
This is a link to pics of a '57 with a similar swap: http://www.carbuff.net/57_ford. The guy posting this apparently inherited the car unfinished, and was for sale last year. It is the car I think Gary was thinking of with his suggestions. An awesome car....Anybody know any current info on it?

Ford Blue blood

I think it was 10 or 11 that the 5.0 entered the Mustang line.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Something new (to me) I just found out talking to detail Zone, other than the computer from the donor car, the engine ignition control module is also needed. On the Lincoln Markviii's, it's located on the drivers side shock tower. The code reader plug in is supplied with the new kit, so that is not needed from the donor car. '93 to '95 Mark viii's are all the same, the '96 is different, and that year has 2 versions.
I talked to my trusted mechanic at a transmision shop here in town, and got a price of 1400 to rebuild and upgrade the 4r70w tranny I have. My plans are to bring the car to my friends hot rod/ restoration shop here in town next spring and have hin set the engine and tranny in place. I have neither the expertise or the facilities to do that correctly, so having that done for me will give me some piece of mind. I'll pull the tranny from the Mark viii and have it rebuilt before it goes to Cody's.  If I can, because of budget restraints, I'd like to wait until after the engine is in place to do the rear end....I'll just be redoing the suspension as oem design. My concern at this time is knowing there is not a whole lot of height adjustment that can be made without getting into more elaborate control arm work, or cutting into the transmision tunnel, so hopefully there is enough to allow the rake I want the car to have, and still get the engine mounted properly...I guess I won't know that till we get it ihis shop.
Much later update: What I called the engine control module is actually the ignition control module, and is only on '93-'95 Mark viii's. In '96 that function was incorporated into the computer.
Another much later (2016) update...my references to ride height were in regards to having the engine end up level when the car is finished/final ride height with the mentioned rake. My early posts on this thread are almost funny...so much changed as the build progressed.

robhaerr

Rich...

re: ride height

Don't forget about the 1990 Aerostar front springs as a good starting point with stock spindles. Working great on my wagon.

Moog part number CC850 and should be under $100 for the pair at NAPA, O'Reilly.

These photos are right after the springs were installed, so they have settled in a bit more.

Rob

RICH MUISE

I've got new 6 cyl. springs and 2 1/2 dropped spindles. I'm hoping with new 6 leaf springs in the rear, and tire differences,that'll give me the rake I wanted...but will have to wait 'til after everythings piled on to know for sure. I do like the rake on yours for a wagon. If you have a  level/protractor, could you put it on your rocker panel and let me know (LOL assuming your garage floor is level..I lived in socal for a number of years, I know about those earthquakes). I'm gonna guess it's about 2 degrees..I'm thinking 3 for mine, but as I said, I gotta find some guys with rakes I like or even don't like to measure so I'll have a reference.

robhaerr

Sorry Rich...no level protractor.

Your drop has a head start with those spindles. The Aerostar springs may be too much in your case, since they seem to drop about 3 inches or so.

The ride height in the rear of mine is stock with new stock leaf springs installed just a couple of years ago. Tires are the same all around, 215 60 15.

Rob

RICH MUISE

No digital level/protractor...shame on you... LOL. Ok, would you measure the difference in height at the rockers next to the front and rear wheelwells, and the distance between those two measuring points. I can calculate the angle from that....if I can find my old machinist's trig book. Thanks in advance.

robhaerr

Rich...

The rocker in front of the rear tire is at 9 inches and the rocker behind the front tire is at 6 3/4 inches off my garage floor.

Hope that helps!

Rob

RICH MUISE

rlibew

My 4.6 2003 cobra is in place used Lincoln front sump pan to clear Frame cross member, fabricated new trans mount so engine and trans fit without modifying floor. Headers are going to be a problem and now plan to used stock cobra cast iron. The alternator and oil filter had to be relocated as clearance to the frame was not what I wanted. I'm using 57 ford 4 row aluminum radiator so outlet from the engine had to be rederected as I wanted the original style radiator. intercooler lines have not been run but intercooler is mounted in front of radiator below AC condenser. The battery will be in the trunk as the air intake will run right across right side of engine where battery would be, with intake and filter inside fender well, above and in front of tire. I running the cobra 6 speed trans and cable clutch system which is not in at this time. The stock hood with engine set should clear blower and not need modifying, but have not tried it yet !!!
I'm using autometer gauges with tachometer, speedo, temp, oil, voltage, fuel and modifying stock cluster, not installed. I will get pictures posted soon. I'm have a lot of this work done as it is over my skill level, with the 4.6 4 valve engine mods. 

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting. You're making great progress. Is the alternator on the '03 Cobra in a different place than on the Mark viii? What are you doing for wiring?
I remember discusing this recently but couldn't find out where....We were talking difference in width of the 4.6 dohc vs. the 460 big block. I was at a salvage yard today searching for an oil pan donor, and there was a 4.6 sohc Towncar next to a 77 Mark v. I didn't have a tape measure with me, but used a broken antenae to compare the diference. The sohc is at least 6" wider than the 460..which makes me think the 8" wider number for the dohc that I had in the back of my mind is probably about correct.
I did find a 95 continental for an oil pan donor, but the car is sitting on the ground with no wheels and it is a pull-it-youself yard only, so I'll have to see if the weather holds. I may try to find one that I don't have to pull...but the $25 price for pan and pick up was cheaper than I was expecting. Also found two mark viii's new to the lot..I'm going to go back and pull the cpu's and engine ignition control module for back-up's. They're both 95's, but I've been told it's the same as the '94 stuff I'm using. only $20 for the cpu...that really surprised me.